• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I print on this stuff?

Colin

Can I print on Oracal 631 Low Tack vinyl with my Roland SP540i Solvent printer? (It's a 9" x 18" oval flooded with solid red, with some white lettering).

It's for a short term decal going onto some election signs. I'd like to use it for it's low-tack/removable qualities, but if it's really not made for printing and/or wil cause grief, I'll use regular vinyl.

MikePro

if you have a solvent printer, you most likely can pull it off.
latex as well.
eco-solvent, not so much.

there's also plenty of low-tack vinyl out there that's made for any printer.

Colin

I forgot to mention that I'm not printing right to the edge, about 1/4" white space to contour cut.

It's a bit of a rush job where I do have some cheap regular white print vinyl I could use, and I'd have to order the low-tack. I'm just worried the regular stuff will remove the ink that's on the signs when the decal is removed later.

MikePro

Shoot, maybe just laminate a sheet of transfer tape with your digital print if you need to mcguyver a temp overlay. No need to order a roll of material at that point

Colin

Shoot, maybe just laminate a sheet of transfer tape with your digital print if you need to mcguyver a temp overlay. No need to order a roll of material at that point

Not sure if that would work in the rain. (?)

Mike Paul: I need to print 170 of these ovals.

MikePro

o, well if its that many then you may as well get some proper material...

Sihl SyntiSOL PP Film EasyTack 300
this stuff is low-tack, but has been stuck to my shop wall for the past 6 months and have moved it to different walls along the way. No curls/lifting.
i could imagine it should hold up just fine outdoors short-short term, and definately not remove any ink during removal.

maybe even help "weatherproof" it by rubbing circumferance of the decal with a finger greased with vaseline after application? lol. sounds goofy and I've never tried it myself, but heck, it could be a good idea too :)

sardocs

This summer I did a bunch of 2'x3' prints on 631 to go over top of existing prints on a dozen "A board" signs. They were full coverage and they went over full coverage unlaminated prints. They spent about 5 weeks out in the weather and then the prints were removed without any problems.

Do you miss your boat?

Colin

This summer I did a bunch of 2'x3' prints on 631 to go over top of existing prints on a dozen "A board" signs. They were full coverage and they went over full coverage unlaminated prints. They spent about 5 weeks out in the weather and then the prints were removed without any problems.

Do you miss your boat?

As there's a time constraint, I've elected to do all of them on regular TruStock print vinyl. Got 'em all done tonight, so now they can dry.

I don't miss my boat; I mentally let 'er go, and have really enjoyed having the new printer. The boat was a money-taker, and the printer is a money-maker. I have cycling, photography, and other things to keep me amused.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've printed on just about every conceivable vinyl out there... including many colors for added effects. The media marked and expressly sold for digitally printing works by far the best with guaranteed results. The others, depending on manufacturer, durability level and other inconsistencies will vary as the solvents will soften them sometimes to a point, you can't mount them to anything without stretching or color shifting. Generally, we keep most of the printed rolls in stock and will replace when going onto the last roll in stock. Never wanna get caught with your pants down, when you can make a bundle on some 'Rush' job.

Also, we have a supplier less the 30 minutes away if we need to go get it quickly.

thewvsignguy

Eco solvent ink on the 631 worked fine with our mutoh. We use the same profile as our 3651G profile you may have to tweak the profile a bit but the ink grabs the matte film just fine. We don't mask it so can't say from that end but go for it.....