• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I print over a print?

ok so I printed some perf the other day but my rip messed it up so I had to reprint it. I still have the messed up one here and I have a client that wants to do their back window with a solid black perf.
Can I use the messed up print and just print solid black over the top of it? Anyone ever try this?
Just curious, I hate to waste material if I don't have to.
Thanks

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Why not just try it?... Does the black hide the failed print well enough? Does it even have to hide it entirely? If it does, then maybe do a double print of black. or a 50/50/50/100 print of (250% coverage) black.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I suppose then, you will just have to check with your ink supplier.

On our flatbed, we routinely double hit for added density for backlit.

Why wouldn't ink stick to itself?

ChicagoGraphics

You should ask Artbot, I remember seeing something he wrote about printing over the same image upto 20 different times. I think It would work.

MikePro

it should work, but much like painting over sharpie marker... you'll need a heavy coat to hide the original image. double-strike black field. let dry and repeat if necessary.

OR

if you have any lint-free rags available that you don't mind trashing... use your solvent cleaning solution to scrub away as much of the original image as possible, let dry, and print.
edited: I HAVE done the latter in the past for some of my side projects.

artbot

if the ink is bone dry it should work well. the ink will just act as a primer. i'd keep the printer on slow (not fast mode) just to give the dot gain difference a bit more time to bite. but way more ink will not always give you the result you want. it could bleed if you load it up to heavy.