• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I print to the edges on my ValueJet 1204?

Kemble

I have a Mutoh ValueJet 1204 (48")

I'm using 30" material and I want to print 30" wide. Yet when I set the artwork up to 30" and make sure the panel is 30" I'm still getting 3mm of white space on the left and right edges. By going through the menu options on the Printer itself there is a setting for Side Margin and it's set to 3mm yet 3mm is the lowest setting. Is there a way to bypass this so I can print a full 30"?

I know of no roll-feed printer (such as the Mutoh you mention) that is able to put ink to the edge of the media.

Flame

Like Castek said, there is no roll printer currently made that can print right to the edges. And for MANY good reasons! Can't be done, have to buy wider material bro.

HaroldDesign

Haven't tried it, but you could try laying some vinyl under the roll of vinyl along the sides on the platen to trick the printer eye as to where the media edges are. Tell the rip the roll is wider than 30", and then print the bleed onto the vinyl pieces you placed on the platen.

Kemble

ok thanks for the info. It's fine if I can't print to the edges, just wanted to see if there was a setting or "work-a-round" in order to do so.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You could "trick" the machine into thinking you have wider material loaded and get it to print to the edges. The ink mess all over the print platen would not be fun to cleanup though.

Even offset printers print on oversize sheets. When you order a full bleed print job they trim the excess off with a stack cutter.