• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I reuse this print work (photo attached)

bulbus_maximus

Here is the first project we did for a school board in the outdoors. Due to sheer ignorance we used the following setup: IJ180C with IJ8520 lam on foamboard/foamcore which was pasted on a preexisting metal sheet. The size of this: 3.4ft by 16.5 ft. This was for a 3 year min. outdoor durability.
As it turns out, the foamboards have warped in many places and extensively in one place of an area of 1sqft due to heat and rain cycles.
Now I learn, that the best would have been to have put the IJ180C on aluminium composite panel which would have been put there instead of the metal sheet.
Also, in hindsight should I have explored putting IJ180 directly on the metal sheet? Can rusting and bubbles under the vinyl be ruled out or ACP is the only option?
Secondly, I notice that if I pull the IJ180 from the foam board it comes out cleanly with only a thin layer of foamcore stuck to the adhesive back. Can I reuse this printed IJ180+8520 vinyl graphic to paste on ACP by manually putting an adhesive behind (sort of like wallpaper pasting method) and squeeg-ing out the excess adhesive? This way I can avoid redoing the whole job. But the vinyl might have lost shape because of the warps but this can be assessed only after pulling it out.
Or should I just redo the whole print. I will make the client pay for the ACP solution as thats the only outdoor option, but cannot ask them to pay anything more.
So in essence, is there any solution to reuse this?

Thank you all
bulbus

05_Board next to Elmo Wall.jpg

IMG_0378_resize.jpg

Vinylman

You need to make this right with your customer.
wasting time trying to patch this up will cost you more than you will ever save by trying to 'repair' your mistake in using the wrong products in the first place.

Reprint and laminate the original artwork. Remove ALL previous remnants of the original work, and apply the laminated vinyl to a clean metal surface.

You will learn more from having to correct this than the time and materials you will invest in making this job correctly.
Unless the school demanded that you use the "foam board" substrate in their original request, THAT is your mistake, and the school should not be charged for you having to correct it.
By you making this situation right may get you more work in the future, especially with the many people who either work at the school, or are viewing the problem as they look at your current work on display.

Custom_Grafx

That's a tough situation you've gotten yourself into.

To answer your question, if it were me, I wouldn't attempt to re-use that print (not to mention... I think it's impossible).

Get it reprinted oh a good grade polymeric vinyl, lam it, mount it to 0.3mm skin, 3mm ACP, and SCREW it into that metal backboard. If you tape it/glue it, and fail to follow the instructions of VHB tape application to the letter - you could end up with a school kid or teacher getting seriously injured if they are around when it falls to the ground.

Billct2

Agree with the redo, though since there is already a metal panel in place, .040 aluminum would be fine

phototec

Due to sheer ignorance we used the following setup: IJ180C with IJ8520 lam on foamboard/foamcore which was pasted on a preexisting metal sheet.

It's your mistake for using the wrong product for this type of application, you should have known better, foam-core should not have been used in this application, so the responsibility to REPRINT, LAMINATE, and mount to an aluminum substrate that will NOT rust or warp is yours. It also needs to secured very well, so it does not fall off and injure any children who may play around the railing.

Totally your nickle, IMO.

Live and learn as they say! :doh: