• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can i span .040 aluminum 4ft??

Pat Whatley

Not a chance. Even if it looks good when you put it up changing temperatures are gonna oilcan that panel horribly.

Mosh

Yes! If you bend a 1" lip on the top and bottom and glue foam to the back. Also you wil need to put a peice of .040 on the back of the sign. Makes a nice rigid sign. Or use some 1/4" max max-metal or alumalite.

ova

I agree with Mosh on the 1" lip, but if you are dead set on using just one sheet of .040 and nothing else, I would first put a small X crease from corner to corner. Just enough to give it some stiffness, but not enough so it looks like a bend.

I still think no matter what you do, just using the .040 by it's self will run you into some trouble down the road and end up costing you money.

smdgrfx

We do it with 3mm Dibond all the time, but we add a header and footer. In other words, frame it out. With a frame, we have no problems.