• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I swap print heads on SC-540

SignJose

I have interchanged / swapped print heads on my old Mutoh several times, even without changing the ranking numbers. Although I was warned several times that it would not work, it worked just fine for me, with no issues at all.

My question is if I swap the red and black print heads on my Roland SC-540, without changing ranking numbers, will that work?? ... it's more risky for me to try, since the print heads are more expensive.

Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

otctech

There was one time when I had a magenta print head that was going bad (banding) but would still print. So knowing that yellow is much more forgiving in the prints than magenta (at least in my experience), and the fact that I didn't have the parts on hand needed to fix it I swapped the 2 heads. I calibrated everything and it all seem to be working fine. Came in the next day to find the bad head took a dive and not only did it quit working, but it also took out a transistor and fuse on the head board. That was the last time I ever tried that.

I will say however that I was told the last technician here used to swap heads all the time without issue, but my experience led me to believe it wasn't worth the risk.

Also this was on a xc-540 with dx4 heads. I believe that's the same head the sc-540 has but not positive.