• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

can i use Onyx 10 / 12.2 with X-rite Photo pro 3

Smkmit22

Hi,

I have a copy of onyx x10 postershop and onyx 12.2 production house. Bought them both in bankruptcy auction. Both with dongle, the software is working nice.

Now recently, i bought a X-rite Photo pro 3. And i noticed the X-rite Photo pro 3 is not supported by onyx 10, and not by onyx 12.2. Which i understand, because the pro 3 just launched. Onyx 10 is about a decade old, maybe more and onyx 12.2 is from 2016 i believe.

Is there anyway to still use the Photo pro 3 with Onyx ? Anyone tried something similar? Like using a not supported device in Onyx?

Or, is there anyway to import profiles to Onyx, like using a third party software. I know i can import ICC, but can i import a complete profile?

All the help is appreciated.

jimdtg

Try to use i1Profiler software from X-Rite to create custom profiles for your printer and import them to use with your Onyx versions.

FrankW

When the i1 Pro 2 was launched on the market, it was software compatible with the i1 Pro (only special features like the LED´s on the unit wasn´t supported). I think you could give the i1 Pro 3 a try together with the i1 Pro 2-driver of Onyx 12 or i1 Pro at Onyx 10.

Smkmit22

Thanks for the respones.

import them to use with your Onyx versions.
Is this something you tried? I will check what import options Onyx offers.

When the i1 Pro 2 was launched on the market, it was software compatible with the i1 Pro (only special features like the LED´s on the unit wasn´t supported). I think you could give the i1 Pro 3 a try together with the i1 Pro 2-driver of Onyx 12 or i1 Pro at Onyx 10.

I was thinking to try the same, but then i reminded the new x rite pro 3 uses bigger patches. I haven't tried it yet, but thought this would give issues. If i can replace the patches onyx uses, it could might work.

chinaski

This is the only way we profile. We get better gamut from using the i1Profiler software then importing the .icm file into the Onyx media profile during the last page of setup.

We have the same experience, except with Caldera. i1profiler seems to read patches better as well with less errors

Smkmit22

Thanks for the respones.

I think i will go with i1profiler software. In the latest step of onyx, you just import the icc file created with i1profiler?

I'm a bit worried, since i will print the patches in that case with i1profiler. Will it match the onyx color engine print settings?

Or, is there a way to print the color patches with onyx. Continue with i1profiler software, once done, import them back to Onyx?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm new to this process.

Thanks!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
What you need to do is setup the new profile in Onyx all the way up to the swatch generation/ICC import part then save the media type with no actual profile installed.

Go into i1Profiler, generate your patches, save them to TIFF then use Onyx to print them using the new media profile with colour management disabled.

You then scan these in with i1Profiler, generate the new ICM file and import it back into the media profile in Onyx.

I know I've gone through this very quickly, but see how far you can get. If you get stuck, post a screenshot and someone should be able to guide you from that part onward.