• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Can I use transfer tape?

Chuck B

Riff Meister
The new Dodge Durangos have that unfortunate compound curve about mid door. Yesterday I successfully applied a fairly large panel using Oracal 751...it tested me. I have others to do, so my question is...would using the Avery 950 Supercast aid me in my endeavors?...Second question....I like applying transfer tape to these panels to make them more rigid---seems to help me install these as I actually squeegee in and out of curves rather than skipping them and then pushing the vinyl in. Does the use of transfer tape negate the conformability of the supercast (or any other air egress vinyls). Thanks in advance for any insight---happy Monday sign ninjas!

OPENSignsInc.

The only way to know is to try it and see what you're comfortable with. I've done many of wraps with and without transfer tape (or start off with tape on flat areas and then peel it off for more flexibility around obstacles). You will notice a better results with a higher/premium cast vinyl.

Also make sure you're using a good clean squeegee. I'll even keep 2 different squeegees around, I like the Avery blue with a felt edge on unmasked vinyl (slides very easy) and an orange orafol one for masked vinyl.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
Thanks for the insight. What I'm applying to the doors are cut to shape white panels, which I'll then apply lettering to those. I ordered some 3M 180MC to do the next vehicle panels...feel like it would have to help things along. The one vehicle I've done using Oracal 751 was a PIA for sure. Some of these compound curves that are being designed in vehicles don't even add value (IMO) in the way of aesthetics, but they sure challenge old school non wrappers like myself. Again, I shouldn't have been able to pull it off with the 751---but I did. Expecting to sweat less....and cuss less with the 180MC...;). Yes OPENSignsInc...I like the Avery blue squeegees too, but favor the Gerber golds for my second squeegee. Thanks again for the input----you guys ROCK!