• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can one ever open corel files in adobe illustrator

sfr table hockey

I never had a customer send a Corel file up untill 1 week ago and it would not open in Illustrator (unable to open error) even though Corel show up in the list of files to open.

Today I have my 2nd Corel file but at least it opened as a white box, but nothing else. Can this be done with certain versions only? I am using Adobe CS6.

I am in the process of getting them to save it as a AI file as that worked last time but not sure if this person has corel and can do it. Looking for option.

Thanks

WildWestDesigns

I never had a customer send a Corel file up untill 1 week ago and it would not open in Illustrator (unable to open error) even though Corel show up in the list of files to open.

Today I have my 2nd Corel file but at least it opened as a white box, but nothing else. Can this be done with certain versions only? I am using Adobe CS6.

I am in the process of getting them to save it as a AI file as that worked last time but not sure if this person has corel and can do it. Looking for option.

Thanks

I have found that Corel does a better job of opening Ai files then the reverse. Although, I'm still using CS5.

Shadowglen

I send corel files to the print shop that does our letterhead and bus. cards all of the time. they import them right into illustrator.

sfr table hockey

Yes it's not about opening in Adobe, You have to import the file.

How would you import into Illustrator? I see an export option there but no import or is this what they have to do when they save the file?

If all else fails can someone let me email them this file and have you save in AI or ESP?

PM with your email if you can.

sfr table hockey

Thanks for the quick reply. I had sent the files now to another member and that should take care of that issue.

If there is more imput onto how I can do this in the future with Illustrator, I would still love to hear how so I can do this without bothering other.

TammieH

Running CS4 I haven't been able to open or place CDR files, also, Illustrator will not import the files.
Luckily the guy who use to manage the shop before me, used Corel X somethingorother,:wink: so if I ever need to, I convert the file in Corel.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I absolutely will not try to open (or import/place) a CorelDRAW .CDR file into Adobe Illustrator. Not after the hassle I went through last March.

I used to have few problems at all opening CorelDRAW .CDR files directly into Illustrator. The .CDR files would open just fine if saved to version 10 or earlier, and not have a bunch of Corel-dependent effects "live" in the .CDR file. At worst, I might have to re-build a gradient fill or two or re-fill certain Pantone spot color filled objects that opened with black fills. That's about it.

In March, after applying some security updates Microsoft released for Windows (XP thru V.8), something happened with Illustrator. I tried opening a customer provided CorelDRAW .CDR file into the 64-bit version of Illustrator CS6 and it crashed the program. Even worse, I couldn't launch Illustrator CS6 64-bit after that. Worse than that: none of my 64-bit Adobe applications would work. I ended having to perform a factory restore operation on my new Dell desktop computer and then download & install all my Creative Cloud applications all over again. Giant pain in the @$$.

One of my coworkers got hit with the same bug two months later. She tried opening a CorelDRAW .CDR file into Illustrator and it crashed all the CS6 64-bit applications. The 32-bit versions still worked. Instead of doing a factory reset we just waited a couple or so weeks for the new CC apps to become available. They worked alright. After installing them I uninstalled all the CS6 applications.

After going through that mess, I now import CorelDRAW artwork into Adobe Illustrator by opening the .CDR files into CorelDRAW and saving Illustrator CS5 format .AI files from there. I still have to re-build certain fill effects upon opening the layout in Illustrator. But it's a lot better than having the machine crash.

BTW, this problem seemed to migrate down to Windows 7 and probably other versions of Windows and Illustrator as well. I'm running Win7 Ultimate and Adobe Master Collection CS5.5 on my personal notebook computer. After that March security update Illustrator CS5.1 can't seem to open any CorelDRAW .CDR files. It just causes the program to hang. At least it doesn't hose all my 64-bit Adobe applications in the process.

Bly

Cue OldPAint:
"I've had Corel for 430 years and it opens Corel files easy )))))))))))))))))))))))))"

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
New latest version of Corel doesn't like the latest version of Adobe, and vice versa.
The files need to be saved out as earlier versions. CS3 seems to be pretty safe for Corel X4-X6.
There's still a good chance that things like multiple layer clips, gradient blends, drop shadows etc, won't translate well.

WildWestDesigns

New latest version of Corel doesn't like the latest version of Adobe, and vice versa.
The files need to be saved out as earlier versions. CS3 seems to be pretty safe for Corel X4-X6.
There's still a good chance that things like multiple layer clips, gradient blends, drop shadows etc, won't translate well.

I've had really good success with CS5 files in X6. However, like you said, it depends on on some other things as well.