• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can Onyx Cut Server be used to cut plain solid vinyl?

kfinnn

Hello!

I just took over a position at a new company. They are using Onyx RIP X10 for printing to our HP25500. They bought a Mutoh Ultima SC 1400D for contour cutting printed graphics, but have never used it. We also want to use it to cut plain vinyl, but I am having a devil of a time setting it up. Mutoh support thinks the Onyx Cut Server can not be used to cut solid vinyl and that we have to use Flexi. They don't even offer a program like Graphtec's Cut Master to send through Illustrator. Onyx wants mucho $$ for any support. Does anyone know if Onyx can be used to cut solid vinyl before I pay to have Onyx tell me how to set it up?

Thanks...

Bly

Set up a cutcontour path, print to file then cut your vinyl.
There may be an easier way in Layout but I've not used it enough to know for sure.

It can work, but you might encounter difficulty in getting registration marks to read on non-white media that lacks contrast.

UPSSByTheSea

Onyx White Paper - Contour Cutting for X10

Hello!

I just took over a position at a new company. They are using Onyx RIP X10 for printing to our HP25500. They bought a Mutoh Ultima SC 1400D for contour cutting printed graphics, but have never used it. We also want to use it to cut plain vinyl, but I am having a devil of a time setting it up. Mutoh support thinks the Onyx Cut Server can not be used to cut solid vinyl and that we have to use Flexi. They don't even offer a program like Graphtec's Cut Master to send through Illustrator. Onyx wants mucho $$ for any support. Does anyone know if Onyx can be used to cut solid vinyl before I pay to have Onyx tell me how to set it up?

Thanks...

I recently made an inquiry to Onyx on the same issue, RIP and printer. I found Onyx to be very helpful and they directed me to the attached White Paper on contour cutting which I will share with this forum. Hope it helps you.

Attachments

• Contour_Cutting_Workflow.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 545

kfinnn

Thanks everyone. I already have the contour cutting workflow white paper, which is very helpful for contour cutting. Unfortunately it only covers contour cutting and we're trying to cut to plain vinyl for lettering, etc.

I tried printing to file and sending it to the cutter, but I get an error on the front panel that reads "EPOS data not found." Mutoh says it's looking for the registration marks, but there never will be registration marks on solid cut vinyl. If anyone is using their Mutoh with Onyx Cut Server to cut plain solid vinyl, will you please tell me how you are doing this?

Ditchmiester

Can't you just tell Onyx Cut Server not to look for registration marks and still use the print to file? I've done it that way before when i'm cutting regular vinyl instead of printed images.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to say i'm using a Graphtec cutter so maybe it is different but I had an issue with cut master and had to do it that way for a while.

kfinnn

No cutting plug-in is available from Mutoh. I am not aware of any 3rd party plug-ins. I have not found any way to turn off registration marks in Onyx.

Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to post.