• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can our Roland VS 640 print on Mat Board

bmortvedt

Premium Subscriber
We have a customer that is asking if we can print on what he calls illustration board and I call mat board. It is about 2mm thick and has a slight texture, but smooth. The board is uncoated and I'm worried that the ink may bleed. I've advised him of this. Head damage is also a caution.

I'm looking for opinions to back my own.

Has anyone run thick, rigid materials like this through a roll feed printer? Thanks.

Category5

Ink is probably going to bleed like mad. I’m not sure about the thickness. I’ve printed on poster board with a Roland, and even after reducing the amount of ink the printer was laying down, it had really bad edge bleed. In my case, it was just lettering that was supposed to look hand written with a marker, so it turned out great. You might be able to spray the board with a matte finish fixatif and seal it well enough to be printable, but I wouldn’t put money on that.