• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can someone ID these braille signs and tell me how they are made/what they sell for?

signmeup

I have a customer who wants some braille ADA signs made.(this is Canada so US rules probably don't apply) I have only seen the attached photos of these things. They look vac formed to me.. then stuck on a piece of acrylic. I can vac form. I can also cut acrylic with my laser. I assume it will cut 1/16th braille dot holes but have not tried it yet.

Most of the signs they want arr 2 or 3 each of a type but some they need 12 each. 70 signs in total are required. I'm interested in the potential of making/selling this sort of sign more so than just securing this small order.

Am I way off on how these are made? The raised lettering would be a pain to make for such a small number of signs unless these things sell for fairly good money. Can anyone give me some advice on what these things sell for and how they were made?

Adrian

Attachments

• Braille1.JPG
    Braille1.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Braille2.JPG
    Braille2.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 101

visual800

There is a company in birmingham, al that does this stuff. just sub them out Right off top of my head you might have to dish out $30-$42 per sign (I could be wrong Im basing that on all the quotes we have gotten, just let them do it or another reputable source. Let them do it and let them handle it, take some stress of you. I have 4 tires at the shop laying around Im not trying to build a van out of them:thumb:

www.bellcoinc.com

rossmosh

There are a few ways to make them. The two I know of are using an engraver/router or photopolymer. Youtube/Google search will show many videos on how they're made.

they look like the were printed. UV printer with layers to build up. I have several customers that can do this desktop UV printers. I have done it on my Demo Mutoh 426UF

signmeup

Not the right machine for you unless you're doing A LOT of ADA signs. Think hundreds a week.

For small runs, an engraving machine is hard to beat.

I was going to see if I could sub them out to the guy in Toronto, not buy the machine.

If I were to make them in house I'd use my laser cutter and the little BB's they sell for this. I can inlay .060 black styrene lettering into .032" white styrene. By using different thicknesses the lettering would come out raised. Then bond it to 1/4" clear acrylic with 2 sided uhb adhesive film to hold it all together. Then if I drop the 1/16" braille dots into the laser cut holes in the .032 sheet they'll stick out .032" and the uhb tape should keep them in place.

Adrian

gnemmas

they look like the were printed. UV printer with layers to build up. I have several customers that can do this desktop UV printers. I have done it on my Demo Mutoh 426UF

From the picture, this UV printer are more like it, if you look Closer. The letters are "Rounder" or "Domed" shape, versus Photopolymer, which is flat at the top surface of the letters, but with beveled edges.

TXFB.INS

those are done with a UV flatbed printer, the domed/rounded lettering and the color gap at the base of the letters.

Romark has this line of machines, I thought that they offer turnkey services?

Direct Color Systems also does this type of signs

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
If you get a make and model of a printer that these can be printed on, you may be able to contact a dealer and see if they have placed any of that machine in your area. I've done that before and it worked out well. Good Luck!

signmeup

I found a local shop that can do UV prints like this for me. I have a quote of $1.10CDN (.82 US) per square inch. Sound reasonable?

Adrian

sigsignman

Eye catch signs

They are located in Canada and can do this job...shoot the the photos and they can quote it. 902.423.3309 is their phone number. Good Luck

David

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I was going to see if I could sub them out to the guy in Toronto, not buy the machine.

If I were to make them in house I'd use my laser cutter and the little BB's they sell for this. I can inlay .060 black styrene lettering into .032" white styrene. By using different thicknesses the lettering would come out raised. Then bond it to 1/4" clear acrylic with 2 sided uhb adhesive film to hold it all together. Then if I drop the 1/16" braille dots into the laser cut holes in the .032 sheet they'll stick out .032" and the uhb tape should keep them in place.

Adrian

Or you could sub out to a company that makes them and not work so hard for a $50 sign.

signmeup

Or you could sub out to a company that makes them and not work so hard for a $50 sign.

I am looking for a sub. If I can't find one I will try some things on my laser. It's 70 x $50/sign so $3500. I can cut 50 in my laser at once so I would push "run" and go have a coffee.

Adrian

zuboltz

designer sign systems in MN

These signs look like a old process that 3M developed that never took off. Its a vacuum formed process where you plot basically a sandblast stencil type material for the letters and braille on the plotter and vacuum form a thin PETG or something like that over it. Designer sign systems in MN still does it.

kawaja

pHOTOPOLYMER

I have a customer who wants some braille ADA signs made.(this is Canada so US rules probably don't apply) I have only seen the attached photos of these things. They look vac formed to me.. then stuck on a piece of acrylic. I can vac form. I can also cut acrylic with my laser. I assume it will cut 1/16th braille dot holes but have not tried it yet.

Most of the signs they want arr 2 or 3 each of a type but some they need 12 each. 70 signs in total are required. I'm interested in the potential of making/selling this sort of sign more so than just securing this small order.

Am I way off on how these are made? The raised lettering would be a pain to make for such a small number of signs unless these things sell for fairly good money. Can anyone give me some advice on what these things sell for and how they were made?

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
We are a signage company and sign materials as well, we can produce photopolymer signs on all types of materials metal and non metal, on stainless steel, brass, aluminum, acrylic...etc
we also provide materials and machines to process photopolymer signs in very high quality and excellent prices, we are located in Dubai send your inquiries to sales@generalneon.net