• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can this be done?

TintTech

Do you guys think this front bumper could be done in one piece? I am using 3m180 matte white and my concern is that it can't be stretched that much. I would think maybe in pieces? LMK your comments...

Offsite pic replaced. Please observe our rules on photo posting.

Attachments

• 2010-11-16190245.jpg
    2010-11-16190245.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:

MikePro

most definately!
edited: although you may have to make two 5"x8" tiles for the vertical recessed pieces. won't even see the seam that'll run along the groove

mikey-Oh

Uh maybe, though I'd probably do an inlay on the walls of the deep recess. Most people won't even see the seams. If you attempt one piece, I recommend using the least amount of heat possible and well placed relief cuts

HulkSmash

keep in mind when doing it. Leave about 1 foot of bleed.. because when pushing into the contours it'll take up some footage.. if that makes sense?

jc1cell

Relief cuts :rock-n-roll: + patience :notworthy: + heat to remove wrinkles :peace!:+ patience :notworthy: - heat to stretch :noway: + patience :notworthy: = one piece :thumb:

In my limited experience, heating the vinyl when it starts bunching up (wrinkles) and then letting it cool down helps a lot in getting bumpers done. That specific recess is pretty deep and you may end up re-doing it with a new vinyl panel after you mess up the first one. But it certainly can be done. The above equation is proof of it and math is never wrong :frustrated:
jc

Mikeifg

If that bumper is not painted I would probably say no. Especially when you try to stretch it into the recessed areas. Those bumpers are sometimes too slick nothing for the vinyl to bite like a clearcoat on a paint job.