• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can VSi not print "good" red?

IsItFasst

That was a disappointment. Decided to sit down and re-profile the printer and when I got to the ink limit test print I was seeing all kinds of cyan deflection around the edges on some of the prints. My test prints look fine and so does any other printing I'm doing regularly. Ignored it and selected the ones that look best (all were good at 100% except the black that has all the colors in it) and wen on. But then when I printed the color swatches they all looked horrible. So something isn't right. I tried the Enhanced Stochastic 2 setting this time so maybe that was the problem (used the original on my others). Maybe I should start with SO diffusion? Looks like a project for another day.

C5 Service&Repair

VSi can absolutely make great reds. Just the canned 'generic vinyl' profile and RVW-43K red is a perfect PMS 185/186 match.
Definitely sounds like your printer profile is off, OR you have a mismatch between the embedded profile in the art files, and the output file selected in Versaworks.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
To what are your rendering intents set? What are you inputting, bitmap or vector, CMYK or RGB? If this information is buried somewhere in the myriad of responses, I apologize. Reading all of the coloristas' lengthy responses tries my patience.

IsItFasst

I should note that I am running through Flexi on both machines using their standard Red so comparison is the same. When I couldn't get the colors to print properly I did try running through VW but I always have the similar results so just decided to stick with the Flexi rip since that's what I known for the last 12 years. Attached is what I am currently running that gives me the best results. flexicolorsettings1.jpg flexicolorsettings2.jpg flexicolorsettings3.jpg

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I should note that I am running through Flexi on both machines using their standard Red so comparison is the same. When I couldn't get the colors to print properly I did try running through VW but I always have the similar results so just decided to stick with the Flexi rip since that's what I known for the last 12 years. Attached is what I am currently running that gives me the best results. View attachment 151845 View attachment 151846 View attachment 151847

I dont usually do this, but send me the ICC profile (just the .icc or icm file) and i'll try see the issue.

IsItFasst

So I now have reprofiled my VSi 5 different times now and the red still is not as deep as on my SP. What is odd is my color charts still look identical using a CMYK profile compared to a CMYKlclm profile. I've tried various dither types and none seem to make a difference (at least for the better...some look way worse). So I am just convinced at this point that either VSi is the problem or the Max2 inks just suck for producing good reds. I'd say my i1 could be the problem but I created my SP profile with it so that eliminates that as being part of the problem. So right now the best profile I have is just CMYK.