Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Can you clean Foamcore?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Zach1648, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Zach1648

Zach1648 New Member

Jan 20, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I am an experienced sign maker and digital printer and I have never had to clean foamcore before but my recent foamcore deliveries have been pretty bad in terms of cleanliness. Here are the facts:
    • UV Flatbed Printing (Oce' Arizone 365 CMYK)
    • ALWAYS wearing Nitrile Gloves and nevver touch printable area
    • ONLY holding the material by the edges.
    • Foamcore is already dirty where the delivery driver has handled it.
    Results: Finger prints in the print.

From the time I receive the material to the time I print I where gloves to handle the formacore. I have been wasting a lot of material lately and have called my supplier (and other suppliers) and their only recommendation is to buy a case to avoid finger prints. Obviously, whomever is pulling inventory for my orders is clearly not wearing gloves, or at least gloves that aren't clean.

I was thinking of trying something that vaporizes quickly, like denatured alcohol or acetone, but I am afraid of damaging the foamcore. Looking to see anyone has found a way of cleaning foamcore for UV printing.

2. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Wear cotton gloves not nitrile.
    Buy in packs only.
    You can't clean it really as dirt gets ingrained into the paper face.

3. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Are the fingerprints visible before you print, or do they show up in the ink (assuming you are UV printing)?
    If it's invisible fingerprints that show up once you print, I would take a rag that
    is just barely (very barely) damp with a degreaser & try cleaning in swirling motions.
    Many vendors won't sell foam-board out of a case, if you insist on buying a couple of sheets at a time,
    there are foam-boards that have different outer shells, other than just paper.

4. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Is it the natural paper finish or the white clay coat finish you are having problems with, Is it Gatorboard or another brand with a plastic top like styrine. And yes buy a carton so the guys in the warehouse won't have to wear gloves.

5. Sindex Printing

Sindex Printing Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Sparks
    I have had some luck using 99% alchohol and a webril cotton pads with light pressure and just damp. Staicide has also worked. I have had much luck if the foam core had a lot of grime on it