Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you combine ink cartridges in a jam?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by SignProPlus-Chip, Jun 1, 2012.

1. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Premium Subscriber

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    Basically, what I am asking is, if I have two ink cartridges that are half full, can I open them, pierce the bags with a large syringe to siphon out ink from one, then add it to another?

Any down side to this?

I would assume the small hole in the bag from the syringe could be sealed over, or even left alone after?

Tags:
  2. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    What is wrong with using one until it's empty & replacing it?

3. SignProPlus-Chip

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    Cartridge reads as empty but still has 20-40% ink in it. Wanted to combine the "leftovers" so to speak.

4. otctech

otctech Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Once you pierce a bag and try to use it you will get air in the lines.

Think about where the needle on the machine goes into the bag. If there is air in the bag then as soon as the ink level drops below the spot where the needle enters the bag you will be sucking air into your machine.

5. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    Been covered to death on the forum. General consensus is that it's not worth the trouble.

I've had issues from time to time where errors read my carts as empty as well though, and when they do, I "add extra" until it won't let me anymore. Then I swap the chip on the cart with another one that's actually empty, and "add extra" again. Only down side to this is that you can't do it on large print runs, and you need to keep a closer eye on the weight of the cart to get an idea of where the ink level is.

6. SignProPlus-Chip

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    That doesn't make sense to me. The needle enters the cartridge in the middle. That would mean a half empty cartridge would constantly push air through the lines.

7. SignProPlus-Chip

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    OK, pardon my ignorance here...."add extra"?

8. otctech

otctech Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Not if there is no air in the bag. If its a sealed bag with only ink in it, then all you can get out of it is ink. If you pierce the bag and introduce air that's when you'd have a problem.

9. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    have you tried calling your ink supplier and see if they will take it back, if there is actually 40% of the ink still in the cart and it's reading empty, it sounds like a defective cart to me.

10. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    dude send the cartridge back.

11. SignProPlus-Chip

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    It's a lot of carts we got with the purchase of our used machine, so we didn't buy them, that's just why we thought about combining them.

I'm guessing we could just load it all into a bulk ink system though.