Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you contour cut perf?

Discussion in 'Roland' started by john1, Jan 15, 2011.

1. john1

john1 Guest

I have a 30" SP300i versacamm and am wondering if you can contour cut perf on these machine?

If so, does it matter if it's laminated?

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. PressPrintGraphics

PressPrintGraphics Member

Feb 18, 2008
    I'd imagine so. I use a graphtec so I print out crop marks on regular vinyl, then apply them over the printed crop marks on the perf so the machine has no problem reading the reg. marks.

Give it a shot.

And to the lamination, unless you are making small cheap o's (if there is such thing), i'd laminate.

3. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Yes you can. You should use a 65º blade so you'll have to change the offset. You'll also want to slow the speed down and adjust the pressure accordingly. 

4. MarioDesign

MarioDesign Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Barrie
    we laminate our perf with optically clear all the time. finding the crop marks on perf can be tricky so we just take a black sharpie marker and colour them in so the sensor finds them better.

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    my trick for clear and perforated vinyl registration marks is the same... pause the printer after the first pass of the registration marks and lay down a 2"x2" piece of scrap vinyl you normally print on. Resume print and you're set!

i've also redrawn them after the print but it seems like more of a hassle and more chance to smear. My initial solution before that, for clear, was to put a piece of masking tape (4 pieces, actually) on the backside of the clear backing (under the registration mark)... worked like a charm... until one day my cutter "ate" my masking tape and took me forever to fish it out of the roller!

6. john1

john1 Guest

Thanks everyone, So it contour cuts through the holes and everything fine? I guess if you are contour cutting a shape thats not laminated, you need to leave a 1/4-1/2" white outline just like anything else right?

7. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    Cuts fine. I'm not a big fan of putting lam on perf.

8. Large Format

Large Format Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Laminated yes. Un-laminated yes but poorly

9. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    This is definitely my favorite method. I have had issues with crop marks on reflective and darker colored vinyls and this always cures it.