Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Can you divide plotter cuts into smaller sections after the material is printed?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Richardmakes, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Richardmakes

Richardmakes New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    AZ
    I wasn’t thinking and I printed about 50 feet of material that I need to cut on a summa plotter. I can’t get the machine to keep the material straight long enough to even start cutting. Is there anyway I can save this?

Tags:
  2. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Possibly. You could manually draw in reg marks at a precise location then do the same in your layout. That way you can "split" your cut file into sections.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. NP_18

NP_18 Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Texas

Is the printed material on a core and are you using the media flanges?

4. Richardmakes

Richardmakes New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    AZ
    I am currently not using either. I have access both though. Will the material roll back onto the core as it moves with the cut?

5. NP_18

NP_18 Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Texas
    Material will not roll back onto the core as it cuts, but it will allow you to start with everything as straight as possible. We run tens of thousands of 2" x 2" decals and our alignment issues completely disappeared after we started keeping the material on a core and using the flanges/guides.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'm sorry, doesn't sound like this will be worth saving, just in my experience I'd probably reprint it before trying to save it, but that's just me.
    Otherwise, spool it onto a core, get it as straight as possible in the plotter, have a helper stand on one side of the plotter, and keep an eye on it so it doesn't bunch up or fold on it's way through the plotter, and hope for the best. You may try to make/add new registration marks on something like 7725, vinyl with the clear backing, plot out the area for the new reg marks, plut an edge of the print to align with, then either stick it or use it as a template for a marker, and try to just add these intermediate marks for the plotter to read...