• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you find some deals on printers at the NBM show?

max

hey all.... i have read on 101 in the past that some folks have gone to these trade shows and were able to get some good deals on printers.
i am in the market for a new printer probably a Mimaki and was wondering if it would be worth driving 6 hours to the NBM show in Charlotte to get a better deal on a printer than i can get locally.
thanks for any help...

threeputt

Only you know what your time is worth. ie: time away from running your business, etc.

But I would think that your time would be well spent if you go there prepared to cut a deal on a "show special". The optimum word being "prepared".

Finally, quite often with show specials you might be able obtain (at no charge) rolls of media from suppliers that are allied with the manufacturer of the printer you're looking at.

In addition you have the benefit of seeing other things new in the industry by attending.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To add to three's comment........ I've always considered a show, a seminar or any other learning experience a tool. It's a complete write-off, no matter what you spend money on, except gambling in a machine or table, and if you're willing to wheel-n-deal, you can make some exceptional deals. Sometimes better deals can be made, if you can take the machine with you, straight from the floor. However, in my many years of doing this, I've found if you have the ability to know what you want, know what you can spend and willing to walk away from a deal you don't want or need.... you can make good deals anytime, even in the distributor's showroom.

I always liked the Atlantic City show for one main reason...... it's the end of the year and they always really made fantastic bargains there, plus you could get it in this year's taxes. One time, I got a great deal on a machine.... and I do mean great, but the customer I was getting the machine for, backed out at the last minute. Therefore, I hadda turn the transaction down. 5 weeks later, the customer came through and handed me a deposit of 1/2 for their signs.... about $190,000 smackaroos. I called to see what kinda deal I could get and they said the show prices were over at the end of December and this was the first week of February. I said, I have cash in hand. Will you still honor that price ?? They hemmed and hawed and I finally said, just forget it, I'm gonna go somewhere else and hung up. I don't think even 15 minutes went by and I got a phone call.... Okay, we'll do the same deal. Sweet. Two weeks later our flatbed was delivered in the middle of a snow blizzard and we were cranking out signs less than 24 hours later.

The shows are a great place to get what you want and make comparisons, but you can make a deal anytime.... anywhere. :thumb:

Typestries

Agreed, a deal can be had anytime, UNLESS you are buying the show machine, then a REALLY great deal can typically be had. Show machines are typically pristine and nearly no hours. And you can get immediate delivery after the show. Has been a good strategy for us.

239Design

Show specials with out going.

I just got a great deal from my supplier for VS540i that had show special pricing(at least thats what I was told) and they were not even at the show! Shop around and let them know your shopping, I never knew it was like buying a car!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The thing is.... the Charlotte NBM show is much more focused on awards/engraving/apparel than sign related. I think Mimaki is the only wide format printer manufacturer that will have a booth. There will be SAi and a couple of sign suppliers but not much else for sign shop and wide format printing specific there. Mimaki has already announced that their focus at the show in Charlotte will be on showing off their newest flatbed UV, the JFX200-2513. That is a large 4x8 flatbed and will take a lot of space. Hard to tell if they will bring any other machines. I would think so but you would probably have to contact them to be sure. They did just introduce the newest JV roll to roll machines - the 2 head JV300 and the single head JV150 so they might bring one of those but I have not seen anything announced.

Check the NBM site http://www.thenbmshow.com/charlotte-2014/whos-exhibiting - check the "Sign and Digital Graphics" box to see the massive list of 27 exhibitors for the category. That being said CS Sign Supply (Bobby Fosson posts here a good bit) will be there and have announced possible specials on Roland and Flora on the NBM site http://www.thenbmshow.com/charlotte-2014/specials - so its possible they might be bringing some machines to demo.

It's a complete write-off, no matter what you spend money on, except gambling in a machine or table,

If the money was given out as a stipend or daily allowance for being out of town, Then its up to the person how they want to spend it. You could write off gambling if you want, just not directly.

NateF

We bought our Roland at the Atlantic City show - it was a demo model at the show and I saved about two grand as a result. Definitely enough to make it worth the trip down to the show.

A little bit off topic, but when we went to the Indy NBM show we needed clipart for the screen printed apparel end of our business. We were there for the entire weekend and in that time we made several trips to the various clip art booths looking for the best deal. By the time we left we had the people at one such booth reduce the price on their entire clipart package from around $5,000 (more like $9000 if you were to buy them all separately) to $1,500. Talk about a deal.

jkline

Hows the flat bed search, pick one yet?

hey all.... i have read on 101 in the past that some folks have gone to these trade shows and were able to get some good deals on printers.
i am in the market for a new printer probably a Mimaki and was wondering if it would be worth driving 6 hours to the NBM show in Charlotte to get a better deal on a printer than i can get locally.
thanks for any help...
Hi there, we too have been in the hunt for flat beds. Were somewhat decided on Oce460 or the CET Q5. Now we were thrown a curveball on maybe considering research on the Mimaki JFX200-2513. Did you complie much research on that one? Thoughts? Any feedback you have to share would be much appreciated.
Thanks much.
-Joe