Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you hand laminate?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by jr_spiers, Jan 26, 2014.

1. jr_spiers

jr_spiers New Member

Jan 26, 2014
    We're new to large format printing, but I have previous sign experience in production and installation. We're going to buy a heat assist laminator in the next couple of months, as soon as I get a few jobs behind me.

I've got a couple of clients that want vehicle lettering done right now, not full wraps, just lettering. I want to make sure we're putting a quality product on the car. Is it possible to hand laminate vinyl and get good results for vehicle lettering? I was going to invest in the 50 inch "big squeegee" just for temporary purposes until we can get our laminator in. Any suggestions?

Tags:
  2. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    Yes. There are people here who use nothing but the Big Squeegee. Use the search function and you'll find a wealth of great information on the BS here. Youtube has many great videos, too. In particular, I like the one about how to use a vinyl core to assist when your lam has a very thin backing paper (like Oracal).

3. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
  4. thesignguy1986

thesignguy1986 Member

Oct 23, 2006
    76 E. Market
    +1 for the Big Squeegee. We use it everday on almost everything we do except for wraps. We actually mount 4'x 8' max metal and coro signs in under 30 seconds a side with it as well. Great tool

5. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

From what i heard and learned from experience you cannot use oracal laminate with the BS. Look around locally for an actual laminator, I got a 64" GBC laminator for just under a grand locally, and was delivered free. You can also but the chinese brand laminators for a low cost. Like USTech