• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you hand laminate?

jr_spiers

We're new to large format printing, but I have previous sign experience in production and installation. We're going to buy a heat assist laminator in the next couple of months, as soon as I get a few jobs behind me.

I've got a couple of clients that want vehicle lettering done right now, not full wraps, just lettering. I want to make sure we're putting a quality product on the car. Is it possible to hand laminate vinyl and get good results for vehicle lettering? I was going to invest in the 50 inch "big squeegee" just for temporary purposes until we can get our laminator in. Any suggestions?

Yes. There are people here who use nothing but the Big Squeegee. Use the search function and you'll find a wealth of great information on the BS here. Youtube has many great videos, too. In particular, I like the one about how to use a vinyl core to assist when your lam has a very thin backing paper (like Oracal).

thesignguy1986

+1 for the Big Squeegee. We use it everday on almost everything we do except for wraps. We actually mount 4'x 8' max metal and coro signs in under 30 seconds a side with it as well. Great tool

401Graphics

From what i heard and learned from experience you cannot use oracal laminate with the BS. Look around locally for an actual laminator, I got a 64" GBC laminator for just under a grand locally, and was delivered free. You can also but the chinese brand laminators for a low cost. Like USTech