• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you lay vinyl OVER overlaminate?

tpinc

If we print vinyl and lay a laminate over it, can we lay vinyl numbers OVER the overlaminate? Will it last?

We are going for a 5 year life. Printing solvent on 3M IJ180 with a 3M 8519 luster overlaminate. Hoping to put single color cut cast vinyl over the overlaminate.

Haven't read anywhere if you can or can't even though I've searched for it- I dont know if its just rediculous common sense that overlaminate is just clear vinyl so of course you can, or overlaminate must be the top so of course you can't!

We can change materials or process if need be, but any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
People do it all the time, especially if they want to add some reflective to a print.

tsgstl

I have done it for reverse printed glass signage that needed to be on inside of glass but viewed from the outside. I was skeptical but 3 years later it looks brand new

edit: come to think of it almost every wrap I have done has lettering and logos on lam after wrapped

tpinc

excellent- Thank you all for the info. Very good to know :) Now I can do it without too much fear!

Thanks!

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
On a side note... we printed on textured frosted lam today - really nice effect - almost metallic sheen, with translucent qualities.