• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you not print spot colors that involve gradients?

S

scarface

I have recently printed out a Roland color chart in VW and used the swatch table in Illustrator. My problem is when something for example fades from red to black, i have both red and black as a spot color so it recognizes them in the RIP (VW) but when it prints it's not a smooth transition, it's like solid red, light red, light grey, dark grey and black.

Anyone have a fix?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Illustrator has a control for blends and gradients that will add steps to smooth it out. Not so sure though about whether or not you can do them as a batch. You may have to change each one individually.

Malkin

So far I have usually converted from a spot color to either the CMYK or RGB values, but that may not always be an option.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Versaworks won't accept a simple two spot color gradient when using their using their own color system.
The spot color box will be grayed out.

Rooster

It requires two layers to achieve a smooth gradient with spot colors.

On the bottom layer have a solid block of red. On the top layer you have a gradient from white to black. Set the top object to "multiply" in the transparency palette.

That how I set the files up in illustrator anyhow. Not sure if you're using versaworks for design. I have no experience with that program.

trik

Are you just dragging your spot colors to the gradient tool? If so are you making any adjustments there? I just did this today, but do it all the time, but I have had no problem printing through VW, no matter what the color? Any pictures to what your result is?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
It requires two layers to achieve a smooth gradient with spot colors.

On the bottom layer have a solid block of red. On the top layer you have a gradient from white to black. Set the top object to "multiply" in the transparency palette.

That how I set the files up in illustrator anyhow. Not sure if you're using versaworks for design. I have no experience with that program.

Versaworks is Rolands rip not a design program. The Roland Color System is a swatch palette that can be imported into your design program for bright/accurate color when ripping through Versaworks. You can apply the swatches to all your graphics except for gradients.

S

scarface

I haven't tried any other gradients. I'll try the multiply tip though.

Thanks!

sjm

Don't think it worked. Would like to read otherwise. Red to Yellow, Blue to Green, Magenta to Red are you picking up a pattern?

schpoe

I have had similar problems with a black to red gradient. I solved it by selecting the gradient and using the flattening the transparency, it is in the objects menu. Also I have had banding problems with large gradients. I just made it into 2 or three gradients stacked together to make one. hope this helps.

Farmboy

We do a lot of fades on banner designs. Have never seen this (knock on wood), but we do 90% of our designs in Corel and export as an EPS