Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you print on gloss silver w/ cut contour?

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by SummitSignsandmore, Nov 20, 2009.

1. SummitSignsandmore

SummitSignsandmore Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    PA
    Anyone know how or if you can print on gloss silver w/ registration marks and successfully cut?

Tags:
  2. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    you probably can but your colours will change

3. SummitSignsandmore

Jul 16, 2009
    PA
    The color dosent matter its just black on silver.

BTW mutoh VJ & Q54 Vinyl Express

4. luggnut

luggnut Very Active Member

its hard for my setup to find the registration marks ... i had to set it up in flexi with a box around it that left a little room between the box and the design ,box with no fill but a stroke , then i knew the exact size of the box. so i stuck white vinyl down on the silver far enough in that the edges of the box and the marks would print on the white. so my cutter could then find the marks.

5. Finishline Signs

Finishline Signs Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Crestview, FL
    We have printed both blue and black on Oracal 651 silver and coutour cut with no problems. My Graphtec had no problems reading the registration marks.

6. SummitSignsandmore

Jul 16, 2009
    PA
    How could you have printed registration marks on black and have the cutter read them?? NO WAY

My cutter wont even read them on gloss silver....

7. Finishline Signs

Finishline Signs Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Crestview, FL
    We printed blue and black on Silver vinyl. Your question was about printing on silver.

8. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    I have printed black on silver 651. prints fine. Registration is another story! I use a mutoh cutter and it won't read the mutoh registration box either. I've managed a work around but it's kind of a hassle.

I would say you need to manually align the registration marks if you can do that. I have heard of others putting scotch tape over the registration marks to take the glare off and that seemed to help. Matte laminate might work also.

9. SummitSignsandmore

Jul 16, 2009
    PA
    Yes That it my issue... finding the registration marks. I'll try the scotch tape thing Thanks

10. SummitSignsandmore

Jul 16, 2009
    PA
    no luck. I guess I'll order some Orcal and see if that works. I was trying to pull this off on LG...

11. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

My roland reads them on mirror chrome vinyl no problem.....

12. randya

randya Very Active Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Arizona
    You may need to pick standard targets instead of the Mutoh box and do a manual find of the targets.

13. SummitSignsandmore

Jul 16, 2009
    PA
    I dont use the box I use the 1" marks. But I have neve done a manual alignment.. I'll give that a try

14. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    Manual alignment will work it's just a little more involved setting it up to cut.

15. msenjur

msenjur Member

May 21, 2008
    Slovenia
    i have also printed on oracal silver 651, but prints were so nice! i printed some black logos, but there were lines... color didn't sit down nicely... with cutting there were no problems. But if i get such problem i use paper tape, in decal it around places, where it reads the aligement plotting, so that there is no gloss effect around the lines...

16. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    my graphtec picks them up on reflectives, beige, silver.. the only colors i've had problems with are dark colors like brown.. i just stuck tape down where the crop marks are being printed...

i've also had success post print by masking around the crop marks with tape.