• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you use cal cut vinyl with digital print lam?

S

scarface

Hey, I want to start offering game console skins since i have the templates and i can apply them fine with 3651 w/ 210 lam but when it comes to controller skins, the cal vinyl isn't bending around things it needs to.

Would a cheaper alternative for me anyway be get cast white cut vinyl and use my 210 lam or would that not work at all?

Only reason i'm not going to buy digital cast media is i have no use for it for where i currently am. I do mostly cut vinyl jobs and when i digitally print jobs it's always indoor jobs or short term outdoor ones.

Thanks!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You should always use cast vinyl with cast laminate and same for calendared always use calandered lams with it. Its just that they will shrink and contract at different temps so you should always use the same type of vinyl

mark in tx

All of the skins I've seen so far have been on Controltac with matching Laminate.

Only reason i'm not going to buy digital cast media is i have no use for it for where i currently am

You would have a use for it if you used it for the skins.

tracey.peterson

Agreed - cast lam with cast vinyl.

That said, you could try going with Oracal's RapidAIR for contour work - it's got a "comply-like" aspect to it. I didn't like it much because it didn't seem to hold my ink as well as Controltac, and my installer whined that the adhesive was too aggressive, but it may work well for you. We brought it in for testing because it was quite a bit cheaper than 3M's IJ180

Bizzarth

Try the Orajet 3551, which has their Rapid Air technology, and then their optically clear laminate, which is their Oraguard 290G. Ask any supplier for a sample of each to test out.

Brands Imaging

Try the Orajet 3551, which has their Rapid Air technology, and then their optically clear laminate, which is their Oraguard 290G. Ask any supplier for a sample of each to test out.

the amount of bad advice on signs101 is is really quite a joke these days.
You DO NOT need an optically clear laminate for ANYTHING but windows, using it for anything else is a waste of money.

calendared vinyl should be matched with calendared laminate becuase of the shrink rate. If you chose you may laminate with cast...but again, a waste of money.

because you are wrapping small controllers with little overlap you prob dont want to use any calendared film because or the shrink rate. So just charge accordingly and use ij180c

Mosh

yes, my designer is really that good

Brag it up, we have seen your work....
Cast on cast is common sence. Same with cal on cal. The price difference on that small amount of material is nothing unless you are ding 1,000 of them. $2 verses $1.50.

Brands Imaging

wow mosh...i see you did your homework!!

and that is correct...we dont use any clipart or additional crap b/c.....well, you know the rest

ProWraps

most skins i have seen are all done on 180c with 8518 overlam. you want to use an air release material for ease of install to average people. 651 is not the right choice. also to keep your customers from having to scrape of adhesive the removable adhesive of 180c is optimal. for the price vs. the cost, do it right and go with the 180c/8518 combo.

AllSquare Jason

You DO NOT need an optically clear laminate for ANYTHING but windows, using it for anything else is a waste of money.

It is always recommended to use Optically Clear Laminate with reflective as well. Windows and Reflective....that is really all you ever need OC Lam for.

Some of my racing guys will use OC when they use Chrome/Metallic vinyl over digital print. It does make a difference.