• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cannot connect CNC to mach3 or ncstudio

0igo

I just got a new CNC machine and it came with a PCI slot card which I connected. It also came with a program called Ncstudio but the program seems corrupted because it just gives me a warning as soon as I open it up. Does anyone how I can connect the CNC to my PC and install the correct driver so that I can find it in mach3?

timgo

Graphics Designer
What is the brand and model of your CNC machine. What is version of your Windows?

0igo

what is the warning you get with the program?

I get this message with lots of symbols, letters and numbers. I think I have a bad version of ncstudio. Or am I suppose to install ncstudio first and then install the PCI connection?

Attachments

• 20180208_161047.jpg
    20180208_161047.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 467

papabud

Lone Wolf
looks like its a language issue. i am guessing your free copy is not in english. or language is selected wrong.

Martin Denton

You often get that with chinese programs supplied with a machine, we had it with a laser cutter and it wasnt until a couple of years later we got a manual for it from the seller but like anything free it is very limited in functionality... With CNC there are so many variables that can spoil a job and the materials it really is worth investing in the right program. We use artcam which has been recently bought by autocad. They have a free version you can trial. I know that Scanvec also make a program (enroute) and im sure there are plenty more out there which we allow you to trial

0igo

You often get that with chinese programs supplied with a machine, we had it with a laser cutter and it wasnt until a couple of years later we got a manual for it from the seller but like anything free it is very limited in functionality... With CNC there are so many variables that can spoil a job and the materials it really is worth investing in the right program. We use artcam which has been recently bought by autocad. They have a free version you can trial. I know that Scanvec also make a program (enroute) and im sure there are plenty more out there which we allow you to trial
The thing is the machine connects to my PC via a 15 pin parellel port that they supplied. And So I connect it to the motherboard but I can see in my device manager that the port I connected it to isn't fully installed. I need a driver for it. And so I'm stuck because even if I buy a program it won't find that port.

Hopefully that^^ made sense. How'd you get your laser cutter to connect to your PC?

0igo

looks like its a language issue. i am guessing your free copy is not in english. or language is selected wrong.
It doesn't give me an option to change the language when I install it. It only gives me option to continue with install, nothing else.

papabud

Lone Wolf
look online for a port driver. make sure windows has that port installed. then install your port driver for your cnc machine.

Martin Denton

The thing is the machine connects to my PC via a 15 pin parellel port that they supplied. And So I connect it to the motherboard but I can see in my device manager that the port I connected it to isn't fully installed. I need a driver for it. And so I'm stuck because even if I buy a program it won't find that port.

Hopefully that^^ made sense. How'd you get your laser cutter to connect to your PC?
Didn't have any issues in that respect as it was via a usb cable. Our CNC router however connects via a serial port into the router. But the connecting box will only work with windows XP - unless we pay over £600 for a new connecting box. (Our router is an AXYZ 4008.) but It may be worth trying it on a different windows system in case that is the problem, or contact the seller?

0igo

Didn't have any issues in that respect as it was via a usb cable. Our CNC router however connects via a serial port into the router. But the connecting box will only work with windows XP - unless we pay over £600 for a new connecting box. (Our router is an AXYZ 4008.) but It may be worth trying it on a different windows system in case that is the problem, or contact the seller?
I wish I would have gotten a serial port instead of the port I got. I believe mine is called a gameport. Did you have to open up your PC to install the serial port to you motherboard or was the port already installed on your computer?

0igo

i wouldnt think it was a game port, should be an lpt printer port.
I would have thought it would have been an lpt port as well. My port looks very similar but it only has 15 pins. 8 on top and 7 on bottom.

papabud

Lone Wolf
well if it is a 15 port connector. i am wondering if its a 10 base t ethernet port. you would need a port on your pc. then a connector and coaxial ethernet cables to connect both of them

Martin Denton

I wish I would have gotten a serial port instead of the port I got. I believe mine is called a gameport. Did you have to open up your PC to install the serial port to you motherboard or was the port already installed on your computer?
our connector is a USB from the computer - to a serial port on the router. I would seriously look at contacting the seller though as you shouldn't be having these sort of issues on a purchase of that magnitude... We took a chance on our laser as it was about 20% of the cost of a UK supported one and for or purposes does the job fine (cutting small acrylic letters too small to cnc route) but definitely a learning curve due to no proper support. Our CNC router we got 2 days training at AXYZ offices and a day of setup and training once installed at our workshops

Sandman

The problem with some Chinese machines is that they supply hacked software with their machines, especially Mach 3.

Martin Denton

That’s true. No such thing as a free lunch... is worth your while trying a USB to serial or parallel converter these are quite inexpensive a few quid and auto install. We used on for our graphtec plotter when someone wrecked the USB port on the plotter. Worked fine

billsines

Give me a pic of your controller box on the machine where your cable plugs in, the plug end, and where you’re trying to connect it on your pc.

Meantime here’s what I know about mach3:

There is a Mach support forum. Go there and ask questions.

Only 32 but windows systems work. I use xp and win7.

You can use usb but you need some external controller for that. I use the old parallel port.

There is a bios setting that sometimes needs changed prior to the parallel port working.

I don’t know what Nc studio is but mach3 is the program that controls motion. Get Mach running then Figure out what nc studio is for.