• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cannot get corel 2017 and roland gx-24 to work together

shuv76

hello,, i recently installed corel 2017 and i can not get it to work with my roland gx-24.
I have the file i want to print. So i hit print then it brings up the printers and i select the gx-24.
Then i hit preferences and and set the size of width and length,, then hit print and the gx-24
will take off towards the center and cut a rectangle. Then it will go back to home position and then take off again and do the same thing. I have to just cut it off.
Any ideas at all????

unclebun

The GX-24 is a cutter, not a printer. You cannot print to it. You need cutting software. Corel Draw is not cutting software.

WildWestDesigns

The GX-24 is a cutter, not a printer. You cannot print to it. You need cutting software. Corel Draw is not cutting software.

No, you can actually cut directly from Draw to the GX 24 (unclebun, you may not have been around long enough to remember Old Paint's posts about this very thing with Draw and cutters using this very option, he was a very vocal advocate of this very thing) using the File -> Print option. At least X5 and X6 you could in my experience. You need the appropriate driver from Roland for your cutter and computer OS.

I have a GX-24, 3 of them to be exact. I have actually been able to cut directly from those 2 versions of Draw, Ai CS4, 5 and 6 and Inkscape.

Also, the "lousy IT admin" that I am, I actually got it to cut directly from Inkscape on Linux (and there are no Linux OEM drivers from Roland, imagine that). All using the File -> Print option.

Now, the downside is that one has to do all the little extra stuff on their own (weed box, overcut etc) and keep in mind object hierarchy as that is also cutting order as well. Of course, there is always an option of using CoCut within Draw, Ai, and Inkscape (or InkCut) for those extra niceties.

Do want to make sure that your (OP's) file is suitable for cutting though? It is vector with an appropriate wireframe for cutting?

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Everything I've seen on Roland and other support forums says that you cannot cut directly from Corel Draw X7 using the print driver, even though you could in previous versions. It apparently has something with Corel not using VBS since X7 on. You have to get the Cutstudio Corel X7 plugin. http://download.rolanddg.jp/en/cutting.html#cutstudiocorelpinwin

https://startup.rolanddg.com/CAMM-1/Share/EN/GS-24_INS_EN_CSPI_CD.html

Wow, that would have taken a big ding out of Old Paint if he was around for that tidbit of knowledge. He was right proud of that fact of being able to cut directly out of Draw, I kinda enjoyed that while I was still on Windows as well.

CutStudio (which should have come with the GX-24, it did with mine, but maybe not if bought used) is very, very limited. It'll be best to export out of Draw and bring into CutStudio, but remember to setup everything in Draw as well (weed box, over cut etc) as CutStudio doesn't do that either. It's a straight cutting program.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...but remember to setup everything in Draw as well (weed box, over cut etc) as CutStudio doesn't do that either. It's a straight cutting program.
You can easily make your own macros to do your weed lines and weed box in corel. You can also make macros to set up any other parameters. Cut layer, cut lines, bleeds etc.

WildWestDesigns

You can easily make your own macros to do your weed lines and weed box in corel. You can also make macros to set up any other parameters. Cut layer, cut lines, bleeds etc.

Yes, but as I said, the user would need to set that up themselves.

Macros/Actions, whatever program you use calls it, still has to be done by the user (or be lucky enough to find another user that has done that work and shares that little bit of "programming" to the public).

Cutting programs/extensions/plugins etc more likely then not will have that done to where the user just has to use what they are given in that specific program.

But yes, a lot more can be done with programs (regardless of the platform) if people have enough inclination to do it.

I actually find it ironic that a little bit of programming is recommended in the group when I had a couple of users reprimand me for somewhat thinking of using such silly notions in this particular forum, but I digress as it is widely irrelevant to the thrust of the thread.