• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cannot open port

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
On the printer go to Menu > Setup > Set23 IP Address. Change the IP address of the printer to 10.1.10.253. Go into Production Manager and change the IP address for the printer to 10.1.10.253. Restart the printer and you should be good to go.

thewvsignguy

Chris, thank you!! Problem solved, up and running again.

Why does flexi need the .253 at the end of the address?

jhill, now that I have the ip issue fixed how do I assign a static ip so this does not happen again?

Thanks to all that replied!!

J Hill Designs

actually, now that the printer is set with it, I think they router will be forced to use it

edit: BUT, if something else joins the network, and DHCP gives it that address, it will cause problems...

might want to set the DHCP number limit so that 253 isnt part of it

instructions for doing so depend on the router

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member

jhill, now that I have the ip issue fixed how do I assign a static ip so this does not happen again?

Flexi doesn't need the last three to be .253. The reason why I suggested this is because the DHCP server in your router will assign IP addresses starting at either .2 or .100. Most networks don't have enough devices to get up to .253 so there won't be any conflict. The ValueJet series doesn't support DHCP, only static IP addresses. When you make a change on the screen of the printer it is only saved temporarily and isn't saved permanently until after the printer is restarted properly. If your printer's IP address was changed but not restarted and you lost power then the printer would reboot with the old IP. That is why I had you restart the printer.

Graphics2u

It doesn't need .253 specifically. It just needs to be set to the same number as the Printer is. You could use nearly any number as long as there isn't another Device on the network with the same number.

The first three numbers in the IP come from the Gateway or in your case the router, in your case 10.1.10.1 isthe address of the router. If you type that into your browser it will bring up the settings home page for your router. Every device such as computer, printer, credit card machine, and if you have a wireless router mobile devices such as phones or laptops, All these things when connected to your router either directly or through an additional switch need to have their own specific IP address. The router will automatically assign the last number to each device. Or you can assign a specific number like you did on the printer with .253. Then you need to tell flexi which address on your network to send the info to and that's what you put into the setup in Production Manager.

The problem is that sometimes if you set a specific IP address for a piece of hardware such as your printer, and the router also automatically assigns that same number to another device, there's a conflict.

If you type 10.1.10.1 into your browser and access the settings of the router, there will be a place for you to set the range of numbers that the router can use when automatically assigning addresses. In you case I would reccomend setting it to use the numbers 100 thru 200. Then 253 will always be open and you should avoid any conflicts.

Hope some of that rambling is useful. :smile: