• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon IPF8100 or Epson 9880

stickygraphics12

These 2 printers i am looking at possibly buying 1 one of them and wanted to see if anyone uses them and likes them? I talked to my dealer and he said they would be fine for banner printing(approx. 1 year outdoor), T-shirt printing, & simple decal printing. I know these wouldn't be able to be used for vehicle wraps or fleet graphics, but wanted to see everyones thoughts on this and if it would be worth the money. Thanks everyone!

spectracolor

These 2 printers i am looking at possibly buying 1 one of them and wanted to see if anyone uses them and likes them? I talked to my dealer and he said they would be fine for banner printing(approx. 1 year outdoor), T-shirt printing, & simple decal printing. I know these wouldn't be able to be used for vehicle wraps or fleet graphics, but wanted to see everyones thoughts on this and if it would be worth the money. Thanks everyone!

I have earlier version of 9880 which is 9600 Ultrachrome. I don't use it for any outdoor stuff. I use my Roland SP-540 for outdoor stuff & decals

I say again, it's Good for INDOOR posters, INDOOR signs, INDOOR banners & shirts.

NOT FOR OUTDOOR

Dave L.

I dig the Canon's because of their ease of use. They are pretty neck and neck with each other on quality, i really don't like the sheet feed on the epson. The canon printheads give you some more life, plus they can be changed and calibrated by the end user

spectracolor

One more thing to add, if you use epson to print banners, epson's print driver won't let you print more than 6 or 7 feet long...(I don't recall what the exact number is) so you would need a third party RIP to print long banners in one piece

rcook99

I have the Canon IPF 8000 and love it, It is just a year old and it has been working great with no problems. Not sure where you are looking to buy it from but I bought mine from Shades of Paper and they also threw in some material to go with it. If you call them talk with Jason as he has been a great help and very friendly. I am in no way associtated with them but they had the best price and included free shipping. The prints off of this machine are extremely sharp.(Photo Quality) Ours is 12 color.

Raulrdz

I just got the IPF800s last month, I love the colors and the ease of use. I still want to get a third party rip later, but for now it does what I need it to do. In the first week I printed 350+ 16"x20" posters and 12 2'x4' coros on adhesive vinyl, the prints all contained a gradient blue background. I was really surprised that even with the initial ink charge the heads require, I was able to print all of this with one cart of cyan. Showed it needed to be replaced just as I finished the job.
I have the 8 ink model, but it prints like a dream.

I just got the IPF800s last month, I love the colors and the ease of use. I still want to get a third party rip later, but for now it does what I need it to do. In the first week I printed 350+ 16"x20" posters and 12 2'x4' coros on adhesive vinyl, the prints all contained a gradient blue background. I was really surprised that even with the initial ink charge the heads require, I was able to print all of this with one cart of cyan. Showed it needed to be replaced just as I finished the job.
I have the 8 ink model, but it prints like a dream.

How many ml were the carts that you are refering to above?

thats roughly 875s/f of printing with the one cart of cyan, not that it was only blue being printed but, that still seems good for a factory cart.

DRamm76

While the Epson & Canons have amazing quality and alot of features and calibrations that can be changed by the end user, when calculating the basic costs of the machine, in the long run, the Roland is a better option. Especially when considering Banners. Printing banners is like printing money so what good is it if you can only print banners that can not be displayed outdoors.

Think of the profit you are passing on in your area. Spring & Summer are approaching and there's always tons of banner displays for outdoor. Would you want to be the guy that has someone come in your shop and has to tell a customer "sorry I can't do that". Also with the Roland, it's one of the few machines that you can feed a 54" roll of banner material in at night and let it print to the take up reel and come in the next morning and find it completed.

Your cost on the Canon or Epson is FIVE TIMES as expensive as the Roland. Do the math, in the long run, Roland may be a better option. Good luck!

Last edited:
HOLD UP..... I have a roland now, and i'm looking at adding a photo printer to do prints for photographers. I have 5 different photographers buying banners and canvas prints from me and they are all subbing out the majority of their photo prints. So I am just doing a little research on the epson printers, i need to know I can get the roi.

buffalo.chuckl

Well, Canon IPF8100's have had the color gamut advantage over the Epson 9880 because of the Green and the Orange, but Epson has answer for that with the 9900. Also, HP was championing their professional inkjets over the Epsons for awhile because of their ability to use a spectraphotometer. The 9900 has an option for that as well now. Also, the 9900 has Orange and Green as well. Why is this important for some? If you have a job for Home Depot, and company's like that are VERY particular about their Orange, so by having a base orange to start, you can get the orange as close to theirs as possible than without it. But going back to the IPF8100 vs. 9880. You can't beat the speed of the Canon, but the precise dot pitch on the variable dot pitch heads on the 9880 will get you photographic perfection on your prints. So, if you want quality fine art prints for your canvas customers, go with Epson. If you want fast production speed and still pretty good images and a slightly wider color gamut, go with the Canon. Also know that Canon consumables are not competitive in price so it's gonna hard to find like rock bottom pricing on their media. As for Epson, you can find a lot of dealers that will be able to sell you consumables at a greatly discounted price. So, those things I would consider for the long run, so you're not in jams while in production. Food for thought.