• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon iPF8100

jumeda33

Can anyone give me their opinion of the iPF8100? I never owned a Canon plotter and I am looking to do Giclee printing on it. I was also wondering about how much I should pay. I know someone who has one that is on lease but he is closing up shop. What is Fair Market Value for it. He bought it at this time last year so it is basically new. Just trying to figure out how much I should offer the leasing company for them to get out of it.
Thanks,
David

artbot

i've been asking the same question. wanting an ipf9000. one observation i've made after reading and digging is that after about three years these machines do start to have issues. at least that is the drift i get from the imageprograf message boards. and you will see lots of comments like "not built like my roland" etc. and considering a used canon sells for about 2k and many of the parts are $600-800 that can be frustrating. you'll also notice on ebay and craigslist that used machines (two or three years old) commonly go for 1/3 their retail. and more than should be seen for a printer that is four or so years old "used, for parts" listings here and there. very odd. not odd enough to not get one (the z3100 44" seems to be a slightly better printer for the same job) but food for thought.

from the listings i've seen over the last couple months the 12 color 8000 series printers usually go for about $1700. the new ones have $1000 rebates and have been listed (s models) for $2500! so prices you see come down quickly on these printers unlike solvent machines.

toomeycustoms

We have an IPF8000s 8 color that is almost 4 years old and has over 100,000 sq ft on it. No problems with it other than having to replace the printheads a couple of times, which is easily done in a few minutes. Have only had to place 1 service call and it was within the first year warranty for something minor. We bought it new for $5000ish.

Felix Sepulveda

I have a Canon IPF9000 (4 years old) and a Canon IPF8100 (3 years old). Both have been good machines. Before them I had two Epsons 9600 (actually I keep one of those Epsons). I think the Epsons are better built, but they clogged a lot and that model was really slow compared with the Canons (not talking about the new Epsons). My volume is medium to high (Fine Art, Photos and Gliclee). I have had to change the heads like anyone using Canons more frequently than the Epsons, but they print very good and give little maintenance problems (also changing head is done by the user). Right know I have a pinch roller broken in my IPF9000 that has "been fixed" with masking tape until I get the part. At the end they are very good machines and you can get them new at a fairly good price (ink is expensive as it is with pigment printers). Check Sades of Paper for good prices right know in new printers (Canon, Epson, HP).

signswi

How's the color gamut compared to your 9600? I'm interested in buying a 9880 but the Canon iPF line is tempting.

Felix Sepulveda

The color gamut is very good with the Canons, you can print better with them even if you don't have a particular paper profile. But the Epsons are very good, actually I still put prints from my old 9600 next to those made with the IPF8100 and they are not far behind. Of course you get far better black and white (neutral) with the 12 color inkset and also if you have a good profile for the paper in each machine you can see more difference in favor of the Canon. One particular color that I think Epson does better is red, specially in matte papers. The new Epsons are pretty good and in par with the Canons in gamut. I think the 9880 will not disappoint you. What drove me away from Epson was heads clogs, I was spending a lot in manual cleanings and second: speed, when I bought my first Canon it was three times faster than my Epsons. That has improved also with Epson.

signswi

Yeah I wouldn't be doing b&w prints, if I wanted to get into that I'd have a second machine with a carbon inkset. Thanks for the response.

Felix Sepulveda

Well, at a time I had one of my Epsons with a carbon inkset (K7 from John Cone) and despite that it is a beatiful blank and white, It is only black and white. I prefer the flexibility of being able to have a very good black and white with the Canons and also have the ability to tone the prints with the same color inkset. You can do very good BW with the newer machines.

Hzone15

I would look at the IPF8300 or 6350. 12 Color vs 8. The prints are fantastic.

If you want to spend a bit more go with the Epson GS6000 for the Orange and Green inks as well as excellent longevity.

tollerdad

I have an 8100 and it has been an excellent machine. It's about 2 years old and have replaced 1 head. We run a lot of posters, canvas and satin cloth and it's been great.