• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon OCE Colorado 1650 honest opinion from an owner

23design

If you are in the market for a 1650 Colorado, I would suggest avoiding this printer and spend your money else where. Canon is a difficult company to work with on any issues with the printer and they keep all information in the service menus under locked dongles. I have had mine for 2 years and its is like pulling teeth getting any of the issues resolved. We have been through 4 print heads, every ink line at the pumps, and are now looking at replacing failing ink pumps. In a market where downtime crushes all of us printers, just dont bother with the Colorado. If anyone is going to Atlanta in May to the show and wants to meet me at the Canon booth to talk more about how this printer just doesnt cut it for the price, I will gladly talk you out of buying one.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm in the process of ordering a second one, how much SQFT are you running through your machine, and what are your specific problems?

As for the ink lines, the ink pump lines are consumables as they are not a traditional ink pump machine. The machine uses what I call a pinch roller pump that squeezes ink through the lines through pressure rollers... these over time get flattened out.
As for your heads, I don't know if that's an anomaly or not, but every owner I have talked too is averaging around 400 - 500K sqft on their heads (unless lost due to headstrikes). We are on just over 400K sqft on ours and our heads are perfect... knock on wood. Are you losing yours to headstrikes? Ultimately what media are you printing on?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
20k sqm on ours and it's great in the first year.
Canon in aus are great to work with.

If you have a service contract, most of those is free to replace etc. except anything marked as a consumable.

victor bogdanov

I have 200k sq ft printed on mine since November and so far only a minor issue with an internal cable coming loose which Canon fixed the same day.

Snydo

We have a 1640 with 1.3 million sq ft on it, I have had next-day service on almost every call and I'm in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure what more you could ask for. The service contract is not cheap but it is very much worth it if you need to get jobs out.

Mr. Signboy

Not sure how many Sq Ft is on our 1650 but it's a lot. Very little issues with the machine overall, it's an absolute work horse.... I will agree though that Canon can be a pain to work with sometimes. Our local service techs aren't great but they do come out whenever we need them. The service contract is definitly the way to go.

23design

I will check to see what are stats are but this has been by far the worst printer we have ever purchased. We are 6 (I mentioned 4 before but its actually 6 at this point) print heads in and have only had it just over 2 years. Just put 20k in to it over the past 2 weeks and now we are getting errant head crashes. Of course all critical info is under lock and key as well. We have had to change the ink lines and the "pinch pumps" already as well.

victor bogdanov

I will check to see what are stats are but this has been by far the worst printer we have ever purchased. We are 6 (I mentioned 4 before but its actually 6 at this point) print heads in and have only had it just over 2 years. Just put 20k in to it over the past 2 weeks and now we are getting errant head crashes. Of course all critical info is under lock and key as well. We have had to change the ink lines and the "pinch pumps" already as well.
Are you are getting head crashes or the machine thinks its getting a head crash while there is no crash?

23design

Are you are getting head crashes or the machine thinks its getting a head crash while there is no crash?
Right now head crashes with no physical strikes. we have almost 600k sqft on our printer. There have been issues from the very beginning. Maybe the person who built ours just gave us a lemon or something. Multiple M and C scanners replaced and heads. We print on adhesive backed vinyl, banner, dreamscape, paper, artist canvas.

victor bogdanov

Maybe the crash sensor on the lamp is getting activated? I've had a few times when the media raised up a little and the lamp sensor barely touched causing a strike error. "polishing" the platen with "Cleaner A" once per week fixed all of those media transport problems, it makes the surface slicker than just cleaning with alcohol, saw that tip on the forums here in another thread.

I wonder if the older machines have more problems than new machines as canon improves on the issues. Even the cover design has changed from the earlier machine, gone is the OCE branding on the new ones also. probably a ton of fixes on the newer machines

aparat

We had head crashes caused by bad design of the roller that holds the gantry cable opposite side of the motor.. on the uv curing unit. Check that. Allso clean the head of the moror there might be some rubber inside.