• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Pro 2100 for stickers and decals.

Stickerman

Contrary to my name, i'm only a boy when it comes to stickers. I'm doing about 200 stickers a week in individual sales and I'm happily using the Mimaki UJV 100-160 at work to print some ludicriously good looking stickers. They are illustration based stickers, vibrant, and come out waterproof and do not need lamination.

Unfortunately that Mimaki is soon to be out of reach, so I wanted a printer to use at home in my small office.

I have been researching printers for the past few months, longer than I care to admit. I have come to some pros and cons and please tell me if my conclusion is incorrect.

Epson ET 8550 prints A3 in inkjet dye ink that after lamination could work for me. My 200 stickers equates to 16 pages of A3 on vinyl self adhesive, however its the most expensive option in the long run for costs. This is because I have to buy the vinyl sheets, and unfortunately this printer does not leave me room to grow into other products, or print other peoples stickers.

Canon Pro 2100 is a pigment based ink type that would be sutiable for printing stickers on a self adhesive roll, I have room to grow, and after cold laminating my roll it would be waterproof and last reasonably long enough so that I wouldn't incur bad reviews.

Ronald BN20 is a contender, but I consitently get comments that it produces excellent stickers but... it's a pain to use, it's incredibly slow, and it smells as it's an ecosolvent.

Mimaki UCJV 300-107 is something that I found which is the next version up from my Mimaki at work. It would be perfect, absolutely perfect for me, however it's £10,000 second hand and I fear that running only 200 stickers a week would mean I would lose heaps of money because I can't imagine I would use up the inks before they expire.

My conclusion is that the Canon Pro 2100 at £2800 is sutiable for me at the moment, it can print on self adhesive, it's home office sized, and it leaves me room to grow into other things. Is this reasonable?

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Contrary to my name, i'm only a boy when it comes to stickers. I'm doing about 200 stickers a week in individual sales and I'm happily using the Mimaki UJV 100-160 at work to print some ludicriously good looking stickers. They are illustration based stickers, vibrant, and come out waterproof and do not need lamination.

Unfortunately that Mimaki is soon to be out of reach, so I wanted a printer to use at home in my small office.

I have been researching printers for the past few months, longer than I care to admit. I have come to some pros and cons and please tell me if my conclusion is incorrect.

Epson ET 8550 prints A3 in inkjet dye ink that after lamination could work for me. My 200 stickers equates to 16 pages of A3 on vinyl self adhesive, however its the most expensive option in the long run for costs. This is because I have to buy the vinyl sheets, and unfortunately this printer does not leave me room to grow into other products, or print other peoples stickers.

Canon Pro 2100 is a pigment based ink type that would be sutiable for printing stickers on a self adhesive roll, I have room to grow, and after cold laminating my roll it would be waterproof and last reasonably long enough so that I wouldn't incur bad reviews.

Ronald BN20 is a contender, but I consitently get comments that it produces excellent stickers but... it's a pain to use, it's incredibly slow, and it smells as it's an ecosolvent.

Mimaki UCJV 300-107 is something that I found which is the next version up from my Mimaki at work. It would be perfect, absolutely perfect for me, however it's £10,000 second hand and I fear that running only 200 stickers a week would mean I would lose heaps of money because I can't imagine I would use up the inks before they expire.

My conclusion is that the Canon Pro 2100 at £2800 is sutiable for me at the moment, it can print on self adhesive, it's home office sized, and it leaves me room to grow into other things. Is this reasonable?
I run a few rolls a month of IJM 538 (long term) and IJM 528 (6 month removable) on an old 8400, cold laminated. Some of these have been subjected to years of London exposure. Depends on who you're selling to, and what your permenace threshold is. These are calendered materials, so subject to excessive UV, they'll start to shrink, and leave adhesive marks.

I've not found a cast vinyl I can print to with aqueous.

Stickerman

I'm selling to people who put them on all manner of different things, waterbottles that go in the dishwasher, snowboards, bumper stickers on cars, so when you say that they are calendered materials do you mean within a year they will be problematic or longer?

signheremd

Calendared is the formation process for basic vinyl. It is a process by which the material is flattened into shape. Another word is Intermediate. Most calendared vinyls are less dimensionally stable as they have a manufactured memory and tend to attempt to return to their initial shape (ball/bead) and they shrink as well. Calendared is best used on flat surfaces. The process is economical so price point is good, durability moderate to low.

Polymeric Calendared vinyl is more dimensionally stable and can conform to light to moderate compound curves. It is also more appropriate for use outdoors. Still good price points for this type of calendared vinyl.

Cast vinyl is formed using heat and then rolled out. It lasts longer than calendared and can conform to complex curves. It shrinks much less and is very stable in UV conditions like outdoors. Cast comes with one of three adhesive types: normal, air egress, and repositionable. Both normal and air egress work well for decals.

Hope that is useful.

whatsinaname

Hey, just wondering if this printer prints on self-adhesive vinyl media like the 3M IJ-180 or IJ20?