• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon W6400 help

IFO Hal

I was given a Canon W6400 printer, and am trying to get it running again. It had been sitting for a while, so I replaced the inks, and tried a test print, with poor results. I tried doing a cleaning procedure (A), which didn't seem to help, so I tried procedure B. Now the printer is stuck, with "OFFLINE CLEANING.." showing on the control panel. None of the buttons do anything, and I have to unplug it to get it to turn off. When I plug it back in, it eventually goes back to the lockup. Doesn't matter how long it's off. Has it become a pile of parts?

Pitzu

If the printer sat for a long time, it may have dried ink in the system (tubings, printhead, etc). Before replacing the inks, I always flush the old ink with cleaning fluid. It's mandatory.
With the printhead you have two options:
1. Change the printhead with a new one
2. Try to recover it soaking it overnight in cleaning fluid (The cleaning fluid should not touch the electronic part of the printhead, only the nozzles) It's a long shot but sometimes it works.

Last edited:

IFO Hal

If the printer sat for a long time, it may have dried ink in the system (tubings, printhead, etc). Before replacing the inks, I always flush the old ink with cleaning fluid. It's mandatory.
With the printhead you have two options:
1. Change the printhead with a new one
2. Try to recover it soaking it overnight in cleaning fluid (The cleaning fluid should not touch the electronic part of the printhead, only the nozzles) It's a long shot but sometimes it works.
Will see if I can figure that out. Any idea how to get the printhead out when then printer won't take any commands, input? Also, what do you use as cleaning fluid?

Pitzu

You can take a look here:

How to remove the printhead:
How To Replace The Printhead - Canon ImagePROGRAF W6400 User Manual [Page 255]
Anyone got a Canon W6400?

How to clean the printhead:
- You should wear safety glasses, latex gloves and some work clothes :)
- Don't push/pull too hard the syringe while cleaning, you may damage the printhead.
- Work in a clean environment (without dust or oil)
- Push some cleaning fluid into the printhead (in each color channel) and let it soak overnight with the nozzles in cleaning fluid.
- Next day flush the cleaning fluid from the printhead with the syringe and push some more cleaning fluid into each color channel.
- Try use clean fluid for each channel when using the syringe. You don't want to mix colors.
- Start with yellow, magenta, cyan, black. Black is the last because if you run out of cleaning fluid, you can reuse it for the black channel (since black is a mix of cyan, magenta and yellow)
- Pull the cleaning fluid from each color channel.
- Use cleaning fluid, a swab and/or a syringe to clean all the printer parts that might have dried ink (tubings, capping station, wiper blade).

Check the maintenance cartridge if it's full:
Replacing The Maintenance Cartridge; Checking Spacing Remaining In The Maintenance Cartridge - Canon ImagePROGRAF W6400 User Manual [Page 247]

Cleaning Fluid
CANON W6400 PRINTHEAD

Last edited: