• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canopy lettering help

strypguy

I have a customer that wants lettering on an awning/ canopy. The face is flat, triangle shaped, and it is a heavy cloth material. I know vinyl will not work so we are thinking a plastic letter? From Gemini. Has anyone done this? I thought of using the stud mounts and have a backer or bracing on the backside.

Another idea was to print on a signboard like a thin pvc? and attach with some type of adhesive. What adhesive would one use for this?

I haven't run into much of this type work in my area so any other ideas and thoughts are appreciated.

John

J Hill Designs

I've done dimensional letters on an awning in just that fashion - worked great - gotta find a way to attach the backer to the internal structure or it will sag

Mosh

aaahhh? Seriously? Paint it, I hope you were joking about the plastic letters
with studs on a fabric awning..

LittleSnakey

We just did this awning with arlon 6000xrp

it stuck fine, we did this job for a awning company down the street, they usually use a gerber edge to do the awning graphics using 3m vinyl but this job was bigger than the 12" they can do with the edge.

Attachments

• IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    456.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2334.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 96

Jillbeans

I lay it out by hand with chalk and paint it. (water based or oil based lettering enamel)
I make the first coat the color of the awning and the second the color the lettering is supposed to be.
Luckily I only have to do this occasionally, I hate it too.
I think Gemini letters might be kinda cheesy, plus poking holes in the awning etc might make it fail.
Love....Jill

SignManiac

I made a 3D awning out of Dibond a couple of years ago. See if you can up-sell them? Paint is another way.

Attachments

• CIMG2414.jpg
    CIMG2414.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 101

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it's fabric, you're better off painting, no matter how much you don't want to.

For the best results.... latex paint works about the best.

Marlene

that is one sweet awning!

+1:U Rock:

now back to the awning in question...is there existing lettering you need to cover or is it totally blank? will the lettering take up most of the area or just a little section? I ask as if it is pre-lettered and needs to be covered, doing what our master sign maker did would look so much better as the awning is used and it would re-do it nicely. way back a while ago, we talked about vinyl that is made for the cloth type awnings. I can't remember much about it only that it is out there and can be used. if you can find that stuff, (sorry I can't help much more than that) you can letter it if it is a blank area with no existing lettering to worry about.

not too sure how well the Gemini stud mounted letters would work. www.polyplasticforms.com makes Durafoam letters which have hardly any weight to them and they can be studded. they might work better if you try that route

300mphGraphics

way back a while ago, we talked about vinyl that is made for the cloth type awnings.
That's the material I linked above. Used it, works great.

I've had trouble with latex paint, had to redo it with lettering enamel. Might have been the viscosity right out of the can though.

visual800

IF you were going to put a letter on it I would use a flat crylic with a couple of small drops of silicone, and yes that will hold it. last thing you need to do is punch holes thru this thing. The other method is more expensive is to have an awning shop heat transfer down 3m vinyl with the sunbrella graphics system.

if painting i usually cut a vinyl mash lay it on there and paint with flat latex and wrap it up with satin or semigloss

strypguy

Thanks Everyone. I went with 300mphgraphics idea and used the sailcloth vinyl. Worked like a charm and looks great. THANKS!!

John

andy

Not being rude but WHAT is it with the Silicone? Seems to me that half the signs in America are held together with bathroom sealant.. why? Can't you get proper adhesives and mechanical fixings or what?