• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't figure out how to make this sign...

SPCAE_86

I have a customer that has requested a "Pop-out" type sign. There are 2 parts to this sign. Both will be Vinyl mounted onto foam core. The front piece should be contour cut allowing the back sign to show through the cut out parts. This is for a movie theater and the cut out areas are around movie characters. The two pieces will be connected flush at the bottom, and gradually work further apart towards the top ending approximately 2" away at the top giving the illusion of a 3 dimensional piece. I cannot find any examples of this online but apparently this is common for theaters promoting new movie releases. Any ideas.....?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Go take in a movie this weekend and grab one on the way out. Take it back to the shop and reverse engineer it.

JB

eforer

wwe do stuff like this, but we use a cnc machine to cut them out from prints off our flatbed with registration marks printed on them. To get the flaring effect make slide in stents that get sandwiched in between at regular intervals and make fold over flaps which you can secure to both pieces with some vhb or the like.

SPCAE_86

wwe do stuff like this, but we use a cnc machine to cut them out from prints off our flatbed with registration marks printed on them. To get the flaring effect make slide in stents that get sandwiched in between at regular intervals and make fold over flaps which you can secure to both pieces with some vhb or the like.

Do you print directly on the material, and what material have you found that works best? I assume foam core, but I could be way off base.

RogueRoller

What you are looking for is a 3D cardboard standup if you would like to see some pic try that in your search

I have made these and are quit fun to produce.

Good luck

SD&F

We did a reality show using HDU and the CNC table. We had to create a 3-D effect, but they did not want it to be as thin as what you seem to be looking for. I agree that you are going to need to use a thinner material or cardboard.

SPCAE_86

eforer, do you have pictures of the pieces you have made? I am trying to wrap my head around putting this thing together and a visual would be great.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can't help you, but how does one land a job without knowing what they are doing, let alone how much it will cost you ??

Or, isn't this yet a confirmed job for you ??

tsgstl

We have made these out of coro with a superfrog or a coro cutter. If you don't like the edges of coro exposed you can just use the coro for a brace and cover the exposed area with 2mil pvc (or 3mil but 2 mil is easier to cut)
You can use hevier guage pvc but I would suggest cutting it with a fine tooth jigsaw and keep the masking on until done cutting to prevent scratching or tearing of the media.

here are how the coro cutters work. We make our brackets much smaller but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24oeQKxXFUU

you can use coro for about anything as shown here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCiW9AECjFM&feature=related

SPCAE_86

I can't help you, but how does one land a job without knowing what they are doing, let alone how much it will cost you ??

Or, isn't this yet a confirmed job for you ??

This is a current customer, and we are an offset print, copier, digital printer, and mailing house with a recently added wide format dept. We handle all of the printing for the customer and this was a project that they wanted us to do. We have been doing banners and posters for them and this was a project they needed done, therefore we do it. Thanks for taking the time to check the post to see if you could help.

SPCAE_86

I appreciate the help, will be doing this on coro instead of foam core. I will upload pictures after I have finished the job.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If the cutout has a lot of curves or detail I would do it with foam board over the coro if you are going to hand cut it.
Foam board without the paper faces can be cut smooth and clean with an olfa or xacto.
Coro exposed edges that are not cut square to the flutes don't look very good without additional work.
Coro cut into strips, scored and folded into triangles make nice braces if the foam display is large enough to need them.

wayne k
guam usa

eforer

Sorry, didn't see the replies sooner. While we used a flatbed and cnc machine, you could totally just do it with a knife and print and stick. Just cut it out carefully and make little spacer wedges and secure with some double sided mounting tape of some kind. There's no right way to do this really, just what works.

SPCAE_86

Can't get the upload function to work so here is a link to the pics. Delivered today and the customer loved it. Printed on Oracal 3640, mounted to Coro, hand trimmed and used Coro triangle braces, weighted to stabilize the sign that is 4 feet by 6 feet. Constructive criticism would be appreciated as I have 4 more to do now. Thanks to all those that were able to help me with accomplishing this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22254615/Coro%20Cut%20Out.pdf