• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't figure out this funky gradient problem.

nickgreyink

We have been having an issue for quite some time now trying to print our logo out on our Roland VersaWorks 640 printer. We are trying to get the "sunrise" in the image to from white fade into nothing like how it looks on the JPG in Illy, but every time we print it as a pure vector it only fades to some odd green color instead of our dark blue, even when we move the transition point way below the end of the transition.

We have tried printing it as a EPS, PDF, and TIFF (which only turns the entire logo a weird green). We have also tried to make the sunrise transition from white to transparent as well as to fade to the dark blue.

We are printing all in Roland color chart colors so we can see the colors in VersaWorks, and we have tried printing once in pure CMYK.

:banghead:

I understand this may be solved quite easily in Photoshop, but we'd like to keep it vector if we can for quality and re-sizing purposes.

Does anyone know how we can get the "sunrise" to transition to nothing properly? Let me know if you need more info.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG2194.jpg
    IMAG2194.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG2193.jpg
    IMAG2193.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG2192.jpg
    IMAG2192.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMAG2191.jpg
    IMAG2191.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 121
  • big S.jpg
    big S.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 127

nickgreyink

I have rasterized it and exported it as a TIFF. It turns the images a weird green color, and not our dark blue.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I have rasterized it and exported it as a TIFF. It turns the images a weird green color, and not our dark blue.

Don't export it. Just resave the file (under a different name so you don't lose your vectors!) and print it as a pdf. Our whole workflow is PDF and I'm pretty sure you'll be happier with the color that way.

nickgreyink

We have tried transitioning it from white to our dark blue instead of transparent, but it still never fades out to nothing, just to that weird green color. I don't know if flattening the transparency will have different effects. Will it?

Bigdawg

Just Me
We have tried transitioning it from white to our dark blue instead of transparent, but it still never fades out to nothing, just to that weird green color. I don't know if flattening the transparency will have different effects. Will it?

I rasterize files on a regular basis because of this issue. Just give it a try and see what you get.

nickgreyink

When we print as a PDF VersaWorks keeps cutting out the entire sunrise and turning it to white. Even when we do the transition to blue. Maybe its just not liking that gradient in PDFs?

I'll give it a shot with the RGB jpg and see if VersaWork is appeased with the offering.

Thank you both for your quick replies.

Tizz

Save the file as a hi res pdf without cut path, bring into photoshop, flatten all layers and re save. Bring back into illy and drop in cut path, save ad eps or pdf again and bring into vw.

Blackfire

Try saving down to Illustrator 8 when 9 came out it had something new in Illustrator that effects grads sometimes since thta usually solves the problem and then you can keep it vector

nickgreyink

No. There are not pantones involved. Just straight Roland colors.

So far it looks like printing from RGB has had the best results. Just have to remember to include the ICC profile when printing.

splizaat

Don't export it. Just resave the file (under a different name so you don't lose your vectors!) and print it as a pdf. Our whole workflow is PDF and I'm pretty sure you'll be happier with the color that way.

Can you explain, in depth, your process for this? If we have issues we end up file>save as...TIFF> then bring it back into illustrator and drop a cutline over it and it usually fixes it IF flattening transparencies produces funky results and we end up stumped.

But how are you explaining to do it??

ironchef

I had an issue like this once, i rasterized it and used a diff profile, try the 3m ij180 profile or hexis 3000