• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cant figure this out ink on connection cable again!

what the

Owner/op
I have a brand new black print head ~VP540i Roland~installed 8 months ago- but after 2 months; it was acting out with a lot of misfires. I called a tech out and he ordered a new connection cable...(I don't know what its called but the picture is attached!) It had black ink on one end (see picture). The tech said he had no idea how that can get on there and maybe it is just a freak accident of the printer.
It is currently 4 months later and its doing the same thing right now, Only the black print head, What can be connected to this spillage on the cable? Im at a loss.
Thank you,Amber

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 207

MikePro

printhead ribbon cable, and yes it is connected to your issue.
the cable itself is comprised of x-amount of individual wires that aren't meant to be bridged, which is what the spilled-ink is doing within the connection.

how the ink got there? its not that hard really. the ribs of the cable itself are perfect channels to guide a mere droplet of ink all the way down into that connection.
-typically a result of removal of the dampers, which is standard procedure for a head replacement, but overzealous wiping with a swab full of cleaning solution and misc. ink could also fall into this category.

ink droplets don't simply fly around inside the printer carriage ..."freak accident" is short for "someone screwed up and doesn't wanna fess-up, or simply didn't realize that they did it at the time".
regardless, you're looking at least a new ribbon cable ($5-$10), and potentially a new printhead ($1k+)

what the

Owner/op
Already did this..

Thanks for your response, it all makes since with what you said, I was going to have a Second print head installed but found this issue of ink on the cable, fixed it and it worked great. 4 months later Whiich is current.... It is doing the same thing without tampering with it... I am wondering is it has something to do with changing the heads upper and lower when printing? Could this a link to any troubleshooting? I don't even know what the scommatics look like in the vicinity of the printer:(. I am coming to this conclussion because I have been printing a lot of banners lately and not sure if I should link to the head height... Could it be "pinching" ink out ? Never any head-strikes to rule that out.
Thanks,
Amber
printhead ribbon cable, and yes it is connected to your issue.
the cable itself is comprised of x-amount of individual wires that aren't meant to be bridged, which is what the spilled-ink is doing within the connection.

how the ink got there? its not that hard really. the ribs of the cable itself are perfect channels to guide a mere droplet of ink all the way down into that connection.
-typically a result of removal of the dampers, which is standard procedure for a head replacement, but overzealous wiping with a swab full of cleaning solution and misc. ink could also fall into this category.

ink droplets don't simply fly around inside the printer carriage ..."freak accident" is short for "someone screwed up and doesn't wanna fess-up, or simply didn't realize that they did it at the time".
regardless, you're looking at least a new ribbon cable ($5-$10), and potentially a new printhead ($1k+)