• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't find the answer for mug decals

jasperandjax

OK I've been searching here and google and bing but still can't figure this one out.. Even after using up just about every piece of scrap material I have laying around..

I have a customer that is wanting to put some decals that I had made for them on some "sippy" mugs that he purchased. The decals are straight but looks like the mug has just the slightest bit of taper to it..

So my question is.. how do I need to taper or curve the decal as to get it to apply straight on the mug.

On the sample the customer gave me the decal laid out so that on the ends it was 3/4" from the top on both ends. the middle on the other hand was about an inch from the top ... Hopefully that helps to describe the issue I am having...

Thanks in advance for any tips....

J Hill Designs

take those dimensions, find the difference, give it an opposite curve

ie: its 1/4" high on either end..so curve it down 1/4"

Wrap the mug with application tape. use a spacer and a pencil laid on the table. spin the mug drawing a line on the tranfer paper. Remove the transfer paper in one peice and put it on a peice of paper then scan it. From this you can determine the arc you must do your layout on. I had to do decals on some glass mugs for a customer and this is how I figured it out. It worked perfect.

J Hill Designs

Wrap the mug with application tape. use a spacer and a pencil laid on the table. spin the mug drawing a line on the tranfer paper. Remove the transfer paper in one peice and put it on a peice of paper then scan it. From this you can determine the arc you must do your layout on. I had to do decals on some glass mugs for a customer and this is how I figured it out. It worked perfect.

oh sure...think outside the cone..

:thumb:

jasperandjax

take those dimensions, find the difference, give it an opposite curve

ie: its 1/4" high on either end..so curve it down 1/4"

Jhill... Thanks for the tip.. I actually read that then just did some test prints on paper and cut out to try and have now gotten it pretty close :rock-n-roll:

Finishline..... Ahhhh now why haven't I thought of that lol I love the logic of working smarter and not harder (no math or thinking involved with your method) LOVE IT !! lol I'll have to give that a shot in the morning since time to head to my full-time paid job :banghead:

to both of ya ... :U Rock:

jasperandjax

So how many days do you think the stickers will stay stuck?....

I know he has 1 water bottle that they have been on for a couple of weeks now.. other than that I would bet they probaly won't last more than a couple of months but its there perogative if they wanna use decals instead of just getting them imprinted...

rnjgraphics

So how many days do you think the stickers will stay stuck?....

I made water bottles for my kids' baseball teams with oracal 651 and one mom brought her son's to the park about a year later and it looked great! I don't know if they never used it, or it just held up that well. We lost our bottles before the vinyl started coming off...