• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Can't get Graphtec to cut from Caldera

KellyJ69

So I am using Caldera to print on vinyl. I send a file with the correct Cut Contour etc. I have a Graphtec FC8600 Plotter/Cutter with a 52" cutting area.

When I print a file that is around 36" wide, I have no problem with seeing the registration marks and cutting it out just fine.

If I print a larger file , I get an error that says
E04012
MARK SCAN ERROR
EXCEED CUTTING
AREA DURING
+Y DETECTION

When I auto scan my registration marks from the cutter, It finds it with no problem

so
I create a file in illustrator
name the outline color CutContour (0,100,0,0) and put it on the top layer.
I save it as .EPS or .PDF
I print it in Caldera with cutcontour
I place it in the cutter and align the registration marks
I AUTO Scan my registration marks
I then go to Caldera and "Cut"
The Graphtec then tries to find the marks
It finds the first one and then moves across to position #4 and then diagonal about 16" and in line with position #1 and then Back to position #1 and gives me the error message.

I am able to send CUT patterns to the cutter with no problem up to about 50"

PLEASE help!!! I know I should be able to print/cut larger patterns

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
What size is the image/what size is the vinyl? Can’t speak for caldera or the graphtec but our mimaki used to always get a bit funny whenever the sheet size (auto) was set to near the size as the artwork. I got that fixed by manually putting in a huge sheet size (bigger than the printer) and it cut fine. Is it perhaps the cut width is too wide for that width of vinyl?

KellyJ69

The vinyl is 54 inches. If I print anything larger than "36 inches wide , it wont cut it out.. When I print a run of decals - ie: 3" circles laid out 36" wide x any" Length it cuts them fine. but if I lay the same decals out at 46" wide, it says I'm outside the cut area.

but If I just send 3" circles to the cutter directly for cut vinyl, it will let me cut about 52" wide.

My registration marks are well inside the material edge

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
You have to manually adjust the settings in the cut marks when you rip. You can set the margins all manually to .2 inches if necessary. That will open up your print area to where you need it to be. The 8600 needs .5 or .6 inch wide marks at whatever thickness is standard. We use this all the time.