• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't get my system to recognize my Mutoh Falcon Jr.

Legman

Ok - I hooked up my 36" Mutoh Falcon Jr. Outdoor today, but I can't get my system to recognize it. I'm running the latest version of Flexi and Mutoh says that it should see the printer. Even after restarting the system several times and re-opening Flexi it STILL won't see the Mutoh.

I have a dongle for the software the old owner used but all it does is ask me for the disk. I tried to select this printer from the Flexi list of possibles, but I don't know the actual model number/name for this p\rinter - other than that it's a 36" Mutoh Falcon Jr. Outdoor.

I HAVE the real-deal licensed Flexi 8.6 that I'm running on my Graphtec CE5000.

The machine powers up and runs a head cleaning cycle, but my computer won't 'shake hands' with it! I'm running a new Dell Optiplex 22 inch DEll flat panel, on Win XP, 1 terrabyte of HD, 4 gigs of RAM and 256 mb on the video card.

The Mutoh uses a parallel cable. Is there anything you can think of that I can do, to get it to work?

Can anyone advise me of some "model number" that I might need other than the obvious and maybe a fix to the "no see" problem???? i can't wait to see this actually thing print something!!!!!!!

PLEASE RESPOND TO ME AT: pbbm@comcast.net

I don't want to miss your answer.

Todd M Castle

I know this is a simple question, but just wanted to make sure you are using FlexiSign Pro and not just FlexiSign, FlexiExpert or any other level of Flexi other than Pro.

I've done plenty of tech support on equipment in my day and I always like to start from A before I try to even attempt Z.

Todd M Castle

I'm going to assume you are using FlexiPro.

How I read your statement is the same as how Compilla read it I think. I'll try and elaborate.

Your computer will not see the printer. You have to manually go inside of FlexiSign Pro when you send a job and tell it what printer you have and where it is located. The driver is already inside of FlexiSign Pro.

You hit Rip/Print and not Print when sending. You will not have Mutoh listed in your printers folder.

Hope this helps.

Jackpine

Legman.....listen to Todd....he knows what he is talking about. He is a great tech guy with tons of experience. And be nice. They will help.

Legman

No - I have Flexisign/Flexisign. The nice guy at JSI in Georgia told me that it would "do everything I want to do" .....because I bought his Graphtech CE5000, but he kinda left out the fact that it was worthless if I ever decided to buy a printer! Wasn't hat nice of him?

I asked him for Pro, but he didn't want my money!!! REALLY!!!!

Legman

For Compilla .........

You're dead on!! ......but only when i use the dongle/key. Without it I get no error message and still no printer recognition.

I'm told by the "nice" people I got my Flexi from that all I need is a copy of the Photoprint Version 4, that the dongle is for and it'll be good to go. Anyone have a disk I can buy?????

Replicator

No - I have Flexisign/Flexisign. The nice guy at JSI in Georgia told me that it would "do everything I want to do" .....because I bought his Graphtech CE5000, but he kinda left out the fact that it was worthless if I ever decided to buy a printer! Wasn't hat nice of him?

Why is it his fault you didn't do your homework ?
You bought a plotter, not a printer and he gave you vinyl cutting software.
Sounds like you got what you paid for too me . . .

signage

When you bought the software/plotter did you tell the vendor that you were intending to get a print in the near future? Sound like the vendor sold you the software needed to do what you told them at the time of purchase! I also agree it is not the vendors fault but yours for not knowing the software versions and its capabilities!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Your printer is not properly connected. The Mutoh does not use a parallel cable, it connects via TCP/IP using a print server module that's plugged into the printer's parallel port. Apparently you didn't receive this module when you bought the printer.

Moreover you need to use an ethernet crossover cable, not a standard ethernet cable.

When proper connected your computer doesn't 'recognize' this printer like it 'recognizes' a desktop printer. You must create a setup for this machine in Production Manager specifying a TCP/IP interface, the printer server module's IP address whatever that may be, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and a gateway address of all 0's.

Connect it properly and it will probably run just fine.

RG

Hi, Bob. I must respectfully disagree with you about using a parallel cable with a Mutoh. My Mutoh Falcon Outdoor Junior printer works just fine with a parallel cable. I have also used a print server to run it. You are exactly right when you say that you have to create a setup for the machine. If you run the printer using a print server, in addition to setting up Production Manager properly, you need to go to the main Flexi window and click on Edit/Preferences/Tools/Rip & Print and put a check in the box for "Connect to local Production Manager using TCP/IP." At lease, that's tha way it is in Flexi 8.1. No offense, Bob.

John L

RG - Please post the procedure for setting up the Outdoor Junior with a parallel printer cable. Mine uses the SEH print server but I am always having issues with communication, having to reset the server, etc. Thanks.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi, Bob. I must respectfully disagree with you about using a parallel cable with a Mutoh. My Mutoh Falcon Outdoor Junior printer works just fine with a parallel cable. I have also used a print server to run it. You are exactly right when you say that you have to create a setup for the machine. If you run the printer using a print server, in addition to setting up Production Manager properly, you need to go to the main Flexi window and click on Edit/Preferences/Tools/Rip & Print and put a check in the box for "Connect to local Production Manager using TCP/IP." At lease, that's tha way it is in Flexi 8.1. No offense, Bob.

Actually, you want to select the option to connect to Production Manager on this network. That way you can run Flexi on multiple machines on the same local network and only one machine need have a hasp key.

No doubt you can get the thing to run on a parallel interface but why would you want to? Unless you have 2 parallel ports you preclude running a desktop printer as well. Not to mention that the max length of most parallel cables is something on the order of 10 feet and it's a big stiff thing. This doesn't leave you with a whole hell of a lot of options when positioning you equipment.

RG

Actually, you want to select the option to connect to Production Manager on this network. That way you can run Flexi on multiple machines on the same local network and only one machine need have a hasp key.

No doubt you can get the thing to run on a parallel interface but why would you want to? Unless you have 2 parallel ports you preclude running a desktop printer as well. Not to mention that the max length of most parallel cables is something on the order of 10 feet and it's a big stiff thing. This doesn't leave you with a whole hell of a lot of options when positioning you equipment.

I need Flexi on only one computer. My desktop printer is wireless and in another room. My parallel cable is 25 feet and not much larger or stiffer than a network cable. I can't use the SEH print server because my wireless internet connection requires a different TCP/IP address. I'm not pushing the parallel connection. I'm just saying that it works for me.

John, the parallel setup is easier than the SEH setup. In Production Manager click Setup, then click Setup Properties. Now click the Communication icon (it's the middle one of the three). The port should be LPT1. Transmission Buffer set to 8192. Mode: ECP. And check "Yield if device is busy." That is the way my printer is set up. You may have to reboot. If it doesn't work, then uncheck the box that I said to check in my earlier post. Hope I was clear enough and it works for you.

Jackpine

If it is a CE5000Mk2 it will contour cut printed graphics. You rip and print from FlexiPro not Flexisign. Maybe he thought you were just cutting vinyl. I have a hard time believing a salesman wouldn't want to sell up.

I asked him for Pro, but he didn't want my money!!! REALLY!!!!