• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

can't get pdf to cut

i need some help getting a pdf to cut on my sp 540v. I am using illustrator 10 but can't get it to work. If someone could give me some instructions on how to do it that would help me out alot . thanks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
PDFs can contain vectors or bitmaps. If you have opened the PDF in Illustrator 10, make sure what you want to cut is a vector. Bitmaps do not contain the information needed to cutting.

PDFs can contain vectors or bitmaps. If you have opened the PDF in Illustrator 10, make sure what you want to cut is a vector. Bitmaps do not contain the information needed to cutting.

so how do you know what is a vector or not on the pdf in illus 10?
when i convert the pdf to a eps the colours are way off.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
so how do you know what is a vector or not on the pdf in illus 10?
when i convert the pdf to a eps the colours are way off.

View it in outline preview mode (ctrl-y or command-y). Any object that turns into a box shape is a raster which cannot be cut. If you still see the shapes, but they are in wireframe mode (thin outlines) those are vectors and should cut ok, but you may still have to deal with strokes and overlapping shapes that need to be simplified for cutting

You can also zoom into shapes and anything that appears pixelated will be raster

ericmitchell29

If you have a cutline already setup and have cut this way before.. .just make sure there are no Transparencies in the file. That will show that you can cut in illustrator but will not allow you to do so in versaworks.

You can cut pdfs all day, I know we do. Just make sure of that first. Could be an issue your overlooking.

ChiknNutz

Kinda short on words, dontcha think? Might help if you offered a bit more for us to go on.

Sounds like you need to know how to use Illustrator better. I don't know as I don't use it enough to help with it...Corel is what I use, along with Wasatch. Still, basic premise is same for all of them.