• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't hit my color

BRUSHMARKS

trying to print Ski Doo yellow. we have a kapco vinyl that is dead on it is kapco "yellow". i have done about 40 small boxes with all different color swatches with nothing even close. have also tryed 2 hits of ink. i just cant hit the vibrance. i then scanned in a peice of the kapco yellow vinyl to use the eye dropper in photoshop. we are designing in photoshop sending to onyx as a tiff. then printing to mimaki jv3. any suggestions?

iSign

use kapco yellow?

sorry, I had to redo two 48" logos for a sprinter van in cut vinyl, because I couldn't hit a bright enough yellow on my Mimaki either... but I hope you & I both learn how to do it.

BRUSHMARKS

use kapco yellow?

sorry, I had to redo two 48" logos for a sprinter van in cut vinyl, because I couldn't hit a bright enough yellow on my Mimaki either... but I hope you & I both learn how to do it.
We are printing them on 3551 RA for snowmobiles that the customer will be installing. also dont want a layered vinyl. We have had so many problems getting vibrant colors on our JV3

thewood

What is a close Pantone match to that color (just so I know what we're dealing with). Also, rather than doing this in PS, can you set the yellow up in a vector file? Try setting up some swatches with a CMYK yellow mix of 0/0/100/0 and slowly adding a percent or two of magenta.

I get much more vibrant, clean yellows when printing from a CMYK vector file than a raster image which tends to "muddy" yellows (especially those containing a bit or magenta).

ChicagoGraphics

Are you using any colour management software and making your own profiles? From time to time I here different people saying they can't hit certain colours on there printers, the olnly colour I had problems with was a green that almost looked like day-glow green, but after making a few adjustments it was passable. I don't think you get much out of them canned profiles.

BRUSHMARKS

What is a close Pantone match to that color (just so I know what we're dealing with). Also, rather than doing this in PS, can you set the yellow up in a vector file? Try setting up some swatches with a CMYK yellow mix of 0/0/100/0 and slowly adding a percent or two of magenta.

I get much more vibrant, clean yellows when printing from a CMYK vector file than a raster image which tends to "muddy" yellows (especially those containing a bit or magenta).
THats what i did i started at 0/0/100/0 then went 0/5/100/0 and so on for about 40 different colors out of PS nothin close like you said really muddy look. then did it from composer and saved as a tiff then opened in AI now i am getting really close. just need to do more minor tweaks to it. TY for the help.

BRUSHMARKS

1225 c is the pantone #

thewood

THats what i did i started at 0/0/100/0 then went 0/5/100/0 and so on for about 40 different colors out of PS nothin close like you said really muddy look. then did it from composer and saved as a tiff then opened in AI now i am getting really close. just need to do more minor tweaks to it. TY for the help.

I really think you'd get a more vibrant yellow if you skipped the rasterizing step. Try printing from a vector swatch and see what happens.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I really think you'd get a more vibrant yellow if you skipped the rasterizing step. Try printing from a vector swatch and see what happens.

Depends. What are your rendering intents?

The best way to go probably is vector but set your rendering intent to either 'No Color Correction', 'Spot' or, second choice, 'Saturation". Or, best of all, turn off your color correction altogether.

If you're absolutely stuck with a bitmap use a rendering intent of 'Perceptual'.

BRUSHMARKS

Depends. What are your rendering intents?

The best way to go probably is vector but set your rendering intent to either 'No Color Correction', 'Spot' or, second choice, 'Saturation". Or, best of all, turn off your color correction altogether.

If you're absolutely stuck with a bitmap use a rendering intent of 'Perceptual'.
i do NO COLOR CORRECTION

gnemmas

We have the same problem with Mutoh Valuejet and mamaki solvent, try to match Valero yellow, which is similar to Arlon Calplus yellow, no can't do.

SignsOfMaine

Hrm, bummer. It for sure looks like something we can get on the roland with eco-solvent. Close to signal yellow vinyl (which is oracal I think?). Anyway, I assume those 40 little color boxes already had this, but I can see it's yellow with a smidge of magenta. I'd probably make 10 boxes and have each one add 2% more magenta to 100% yellow, one of those should be it. If it isn't... I guess your printer is weaksauce :(

APC Tech NE

Have you tried a color replacement in Onyx? You can bypass the profile and monkey with pure hues. Vector colors work best. If still no dice your yellow is probably outside of the ink gamut.
Good luck

messmedia

... actually, solvent inks have slightly WIDER color gamut then traditional offset prints. So, U might get better results if You prepare for print in RGB mode, and then try using color profiles to get the most out of it (so - machine will transform Your colors to a closer match).

ColesCreations

Try turning off color correction, then specifying the 0-0-100-0 and going from there, with spot color. We have done this with success a couple of times.

If the color correction is on it is harder to fool the rip, as it still uses all colors for 100%Y.

visualeyez

You may have better luck with a mix of 17% magenta with 62% yellow. Let me know if this if this works and I will tell you my trick.

You could also print all of your other colors on white vinyl, contour cut, apply tape, and transfer onto your Kapco yellow vinyl, and them laminate.

-Keith