• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cant match this tone on sepia print

depps74

I have a print that is really throwing me a curveball. Its a very subtle sepia tone (on the master print) the large print we are making comes out way too yellow or way too red. I have attached picture the one marked "OUR" is the print we made, the other on the left is the master copy the client gave us to match....

Specs:
Printer: HP Latex CMYK
Printing on RadGraphx removable white adhesive material
Profile: Rad Graphx
Print: CMYK color matched
FIle: Tried: tiff, pdf. original file was an RGB which we converted to CMYK.

I have:
checked printhead test for damaged nozzles (all are good)
calibrated
recently changed the cyan cartridge and recalibrated
flushed all nozzles 2x

It prints correctly out of my desktop printer, but out of the 315 its off. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 60193623242__2D50B161-4F26-4EE7-91BD-08929B96F17E.jpg
    60193623242__2D50B161-4F26-4EE7-91BD-08929B96F17E.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 242

Andy D

So you scanned it in & now it doesn't match?
If so, have you tried bringing your scanned image into photoshop and color correcting it?
That would be my 1st step.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
The RIP is SAI Flexi photo basic.
The profiles used so far have been 3M Ij35c and RadGraphx

We tried correcting in photoshop, no dice....

That's your issue.

You either need to find the specific profile for the media your using, it seems as you have, but specifically does your profile match the media name. for example the 3M profile is for the ij35c media, and not the RadGraphicx stuff you're using. So it's no surprise it wont match.

If your RadGraphix profile is for the media you're printing on, then the profile is not great.
So then your options would be:
A. to calibrate your printer+media yourself or pay someone to do it.
B. edit the photo in photoshop to match the original image. I'd start of de-saturating it, and print of small samples of many different revisions and working my way to a closer match.

Andy D

Off topic... It seems that rip programs would set it to where you could send the same test image, at the same time, picking 5-10
different ICC profiles.

depps74

Make your own profile if at all possible or try converting it to grayscale.
Don't the 315's have profiling ability on the printer?
If so, do that.
Yes I tried setting my own profile with no light inks. No dice.
I just swapped out the printhead. Even though the tests said it was firing fine (no broken lines) its the only thing at this point I have not tried.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Off topic... It seems that rip programs would set it to where you could send the same test image, at the same time, picking 5-10
different ICC profiles.
One would typically use Photoshop to make these conversions to an evaluation image file and then send those to the RIP with its setting of "all profiles off."

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I just swapped out the printhead. Even though the tests said it was firing fine (no broken lines)
Tantamount to switching out all the tested and fine strings because one can't tune the guitar.

its the only thing at this point I have not tried.
It seems apparent you have not invested enough toward learning how to calibrate and / or profile your machine.

JLD984

It looks to have too much colour in it, needs a bit more grayscale so it isn't as rich. This is how I do it:

Open the file, leave it in RGB for now.
Select the image and convert to grayscale.
Change color mode to CMYK.
Create a rectangle the same size as the image and make it roughly the orange colour you need.
Move the rectangle behind the image as the bottom layer.
Change the opacity of the image to 70% or so.
Adjust the image opacity and rectangle colour until you get it right.

depps74

Tantamount to switching out all the tested and fine strings because one can't tune the guitar.

It seems apparent you have not invested enough toward learning how to calibrate and / or profile your machine.

Thanks for being so condescending. Remember when you were new too printing? Or do you just get off making people feel worse in trouble?

JLD984

Any luck yet? I just realized you could just do a 3 step conversion, going from original RGB, to a grayscale, then to a CMYK. This should lock all pixels to K values. Then in your rip, you should be able to tell the printer to only use the black inks. In onyx, I have to turn all ICC off and it will adhere to the color values received during import. It even works with that picture you took!
View attachment 145251
Just realised after somebody just said the same thing?

JLD984

Actually I suppose so, but what's with the extra steps after converting it back to CMYK? I kindly skimmed your post I must admit, but after re-reading that's exactly what you said in steps one and two. What is the point of the orange rectangle?
Didn't you need a sepia tone? Orange, brown, whatever you call it to give it the colour.