Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant match this tone on sepia print

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by depps74, Jan 28, 2020.

1. depps74

depps74 Guest

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    I have a print that is really throwing me a curveball. Its a very subtle sepia tone (on the master print) the large print we are making comes out way too yellow or way too red. I have attached picture the one marked "OUR" is the print we made, the other on the left is the master copy the client gave us to match....

Specs:
    Printer: HP Latex CMYK
    Printing on RadGraphx removable white adhesive material
    Profile: Rad Graphx
    Print: CMYK color matched
    FIle: Tried: tiff, pdf. original file was an RGB which we converted to CMYK.

I have:
    checked printhead test for damaged nozzles (all are good)
    calibrated
    recently changed the cyan cartridge and recalibrated
    flushed all nozzles 2x

It prints correctly out of my desktop printer, but out of the 315 its off. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Try not converting to CMYK and let the RIP handle the RGB file.

• Like Like x 1
  3. depps74

depps74 Guest

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    originally that is what we did, not realizing it was a RGB file, then the client changed it to a CMYK and it did the same thing.....

4. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    So you scanned it in & now it doesn't match?
    If so, have you tried bringing your scanned image into photoshop and color correcting it?
    That would be my 1st step.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Just noticed this....

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    What is the RIP?

7. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    It would appear to be a profiling issue.

8. depps74

depps74 Guest

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    The RIP is SAI Flexi photo basic.
    The profiles used so far have been 3M Ij35c and RadGraphx

We tried correcting in photoshop, no dice....

9. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    That's your issue.

You either need to find the specific profile for the media your using, it seems as you have, but specifically does your profile match the media name. for example the 3M profile is for the ij35c media, and not the RadGraphicx stuff you're using. So it's no surprise it wont match.

If your RadGraphix profile is for the media you're printing on, then the profile is not great.
    So then your options would be:
    A. to calibrate your printer+media yourself or pay someone to do it.
    B. edit the photo in photoshop to match the original image. I'd start of de-saturating it, and print of small samples of many different revisions and working my way to a closer match.

10. depps74

depps74 Guest

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    Got any suggestions for a better profile? on 3MIj35c? or Radgraphx material?

11. cstone94

cstone94 Pro-Graphx

Feb 22, 2016
    United States
    Make your own profile if at all possible or try converting it to grayscale.

12. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Don't the 315's have profiling ability on the printer?
    If so, do that.

13. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Off topic... It seems that rip programs would set it to where you could send the same test image, at the same time, picking 5-10
    different ICC profiles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. depps74

depps74 Guest

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    Yes I tried setting my own profile with no light inks. No dice.
    I just swapped out the printhead. Even though the tests said it was firing fine (no broken lines) its the only thing at this point I have not tried.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Bear with me, I have a 560 and Onyx so not the exact same setup. But on the printer you have a media profile. This does temps, feed steps, thickness, etc (basically stuff having to do with the material.)
    Then your RIP uses this information, in conjuncture with the ICC profile, allowing you to hit generic targets, like a photo vs CMYK. I usually set mine to off so I can control the CMYK values from corel to the printer, but that's impossible on an photographic image (ok, not impossible, but I'm not counting and keeping track of individual pixel values). I have one loaded into onyx called "3m matchprint" that works well for first shot pms colors, and one labeled "Tiff with embbeded ICC" that I use for photographs, as well as countless others I'll try to use when I get frustrated.
    In any case, does Flexi have the ICC profiles separate from the media profiles, or is it all the same? Here's a screenshot of my list of profiles that I think came default with Onyx.
    upload_2020-1-29_17-49-16.png

16. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    One would typically use Photoshop to make these conversions to an evaluation image file and then send those to the RIP with its setting of "all profiles off."

17. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Tantamount to switching out all the tested and fine strings because one can't tune the guitar.

It seems apparent you have not invested enough toward learning how to calibrate and / or profile your machine.

18. JLD984

JLD984 Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Australia
    It looks to have too much colour in it, needs a bit more grayscale so it isn't as rich. This is how I do it:

Open the file, leave it in RGB for now.
    Select the image and convert to grayscale.
    Change color mode to CMYK.
    Create a rectangle the same size as the image and make it roughly the orange colour you need.
    Move the rectangle behind the image as the bottom layer.
    Change the opacity of the image to 70% or so.
    Adjust the image opacity and rectangle colour until you get it right.

19. depps74

depps74 Guest

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    Thanks for being so condescending. Remember when you were new too printing? Or do you just get off making people feel worse in trouble?

20. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Any luck yet? I just realized you could just do a 3 step conversion, going from original RGB, to a grayscale, then to a CMYK. This should lock all pixels to K values. Then in your rip, you should be able to tell the printer to only use the black inks. In onyx, I have to turn all ICC off and it will adhere to the color values received during import. It even works with that picture you took!
    upload_2020-2-3_9-51-22.png