• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't open a Corel File in Corel

A customer brought a file to me on a disk that he created in Corel X3 which is what I use. I tried opening this file on 3 different computers that have Corel on it...2 of the computers wouldn't read the CD and the one computer that did read the disk had an error that the file format wasn't supported. That was the first time
Since then he has brought the file back twice and still the same problems. He even saved the file as a PDF format and that was also unsucessful.
The only thing I can think of is a setting he has on his computer that is keeping the files being read by other computers.
He archives old photos at our local museum so I'm wondering if there is a security setting that is creating the problem.
Any ideas?
thanks

sarge

is the cd a memorex? .. i have gotten some that would not work .. you can see the files on it .. but could not access them or get corrupt file msg

joeshaul

I would suggest copying the file off the cd first. If it gives CRC errors, then request it on a flash/thumb drive, e-mail, etc. If you're able to copy the CDR file off the cd and it is still unable to open, open the file in Wordpad.

You should see the first few letters "RIFF", then you should see "CDR?vrsn" the questionmark will either be a letter, or number, if it's a number it's that versio nof Corel (IE: 7=corel 7, 9=Corel 9), if it's a letter, then A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14. If it's missing it, then the data is corrupt.

is the cd a memorex? .. i have gotten some that would not work .. you can see the files on it .. but could not access them or get corrupt file msg
Yep! Although I have several around here that other customers brought me and have no problems. This would be the third CD he brought me. I should ask him to bring it on a flash drive and see what happens.

I would suggest copying the file off the cd first. If it gives CRC errors, then request it on a flash/thumb drive, e-mail, etc. If you're able to copy the CDR file off the cd and it is still unable to open, open the file in Wordpad.

You should see the first few letters "RIFF", then you should see "CDR?vrsn" the questionmark will either be a letter, or number, if it's a number it's that versio nof Corel (IE: 7=corel 7, 9=Corel 9), if it's a letter, then A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14. If it's missing it, then the data is corrupt.
The files don't even show up on 2 computers I tried to open them on and the one computer that does "see" the files won't let me open either the CDR file or the PDF...it froze the compuer up on all occasions.
How do you open a Corel file in Word Pad?

joeshaul

Just launch wordpad and go to file open.

However, what you're describing sounds like it's just bad media that's causing the hardware to lock while attempting to read it. He may also not be finalizing the session on his computer, or is using some ancient old cds. I know I still have some blank cds from like 1997 around here somewhere, I just never had the heart to throw them away (they were around $6 a blank back when I bought them). Usually I just burn everything to dvd these days and if it's less than a gig I usually just toss it on a flash drive to move it around if I can't do it over network.

It could also just be that his burner is doing something flakey as well. Never really heard about it happening with cd drives, but floppy drives used to get a warped head that would cause them to read/write differently. Other computers wouldn't be able to read its disk, but it could still read its own because it was equally messed up.

Get it on a different media and see what happens then.

sarge

memorex was kinda all i ever bought .. but last november or october time frame i bought 2 or 3 sleeves and they were all bad .. then i bought a tutorial burned on memorex .. it didnt work .. fianally narrowed it to those discs .. i went as far as replaced my cd/dvd drive ..

cajun312

I bought a new computer last year and it wouldn't read some of my Juice Drops disks, the computer shop tried three different dvd drives, none would read them, he decided to use the same brand drive that was in my laptop and that did the trick.