• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cant open .eps file???

EMSbyDay

Client sent me a file yesterday through "yousendit" as it was a 30MB file stating that it was a ready to go .eps for print. But when I tried to open it today in Illustrator CS it wont open and I get the message "DCS EPS files cannot be opened or embedded. PLease place this file using the Link option"

Is it a bad format do you think? Or possibly just made on a newer version? I havnt upgraded from CS yet as its done everything I've needed so far.

Link to file:
http://download.yousendit.com/39BFE22503906C1C

Thanx

hammered

Opened fine in Draw

I could save as an AI or publish to PDF to see if that helps ya. Not 100% sure if it will alter the file though.

ndemond

Me also :thumb:
TVA logo - UPDATED copy.jpg

Mac converted it to a pdf and I resaved as a jpeg.

TheSnowman

No prob. here either, but I'm on my mac like ndemond. Took stinkin' 30 seconds to download it, but nevertheless, I got it.

cgsigns_jamie

Got the same error with CS2, opened fine in Apple Preview. I then tried to place the image and I got this error: "Support for high-resolution DCS content is limited to non-transparent Host-Based separation workflows."

iSign

Got the same error with CS2, opened fine in Apple Preview. I then tried to place the image and I got this error: "Support for high-resolution DCS content is limited to non-transparent Host-Based separation workflows."

same here, in CS2 on a PC, then it placed a horrible 1 bit bitmap of the gradient shown in the earlier post.

I would ask client to resend without gradient, and you could re-apply it

Attachments

• epserror.jpg
    epserror.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 264

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I got the same bad results with Illustrator CS2. I next opened it in Corel X3 successfully although there were editing limitations. I then resaved it as Illustrator AI CS2 and it opened successfully in Illustrator.

Everything in the artwork is a bitmap with the exception of the line of text at the bottom right.

Here is the information on EPS DCS from the Illustrator Help Files:

Importing DCS files

Desktop Color Separation (DCS) is a version of the standard EPS format. The DCS 1.0 format supports only CMYK images while the DCS 2.0 format supports multichannel CMYK files as well as multiple spot inks. (These spot inks appear as spot colors in Illustrator’s Swatches palette.) Illustrator recognizes clipping paths in Photoshop-created DCS 1.0 and DCS 2.0 files.
Because DCS files are pre-separated, their use is limited to non-transparent, host-based workflows. The high-resolution color separations associated with the image are replaced with a low-resolution composite image when printing to composite or exporting to EPS and PDF. DCS files are not supported in In-RIP workflows.

So, in short, this is a file that can only be printed. Vectors are non existent for most of the artwork. In addition, this is a good example of where the client should provide a JPG proof along with the production file. The reason being that it looks different in Corel X3 than it looks in Illustrator.

If I were doing this job, I would open it at production size in Photoshop and then set my color mode and profile and save out of Photoshop in my preferred file format for printing.

Rooster

It wouldn't open for me in illustrator (CS3) either. Told me to place it instead. Once I did that and saved it as a pdf it opened fine in photoshop. Oddly enough opening the file directly in photoshop produced a blank file.

There is nothing in there as far as vectors are concerned. Everything has a bitmap effect (bevel) applied to it.