• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't re-install Graphix Advantage V6.21

calbanner

Finally decided to dust off my Omega version 1.56 and load it. Tried it way back when I upgraded and didn't like it, and went back to GA. Had it install for about 24 hours and it crashed twice....second time as I was saving a job I had been working on for an hour and a half. I decided as I did in the past to uninstall and go back to GA. When reinstalling.....program asks for password and when entered in....it says wrong password.
I know I have the right password...I have all the original documentation from Gerber.....Any suggestions?

Bob Gilliland

Due to time restraints, this is going to be very short and brief; more later today if needed.

Did you use the Gerber provided utility called cleansys.exe? This utility usually performs a more methodical and thorough job of removing ALL traces of the program, much more so then the standard uninstall routine.

Was the same dongle used; i.e. the parallel block for GA was “upgraded” to Omega 1.x? If so, I believe the block needs to be re-written “back down” to GA. Been a long time since needing to do this; utility might be called “goback.exe” but not positive.

Good luck and hope you have a successful resolution.

TLG

Contact Tony Teveris, a member here and Gerber employee. He's been very helpful with some of my GA 6.0 problems.
Good luck

calbanner

Thanks TLG....
TONY may be able to help me next week as he is out of town.
Looking forward to it.
He writes:
On the CD, I think in a misc folder is a DOS program called rblock. This program read the key and list a bunch of features that are turned on on your key and your serial number which the password is "tied" to.

calbanner

Can not reinstall my Graphix Advantage V.6.21

Contacted a local Gerber Rep and he writes

GSP's response was as followed:

Hello James,

He would have upgraded to 1.5 well over five years ago. Why does he want to undo it now, after such a long time?
We don't have a process to reverse a GA to 1.5 upgrade. While we may have had something, many years ago, to undo an upgrade, 1.5 is no longer supported, so we no longer have the tools that we used with 1.5 and can't offer suggestions on how to undo it. His best option at this point is to upgrade to 2.6.

Reason I wanted to uninstall is that it seemed unstable....crashed twice within 24 hrs.....maybe it is because I do not have any availble patches or updates to the Omega Version 1.56....
Anybody using the newest Version 2.6.... is it worth the upgrade?
Thanks.

beckys

I would never go back to GA-yikes, that was a dinosaur compared to the various features now.
1.5 worked for me, with serial port adapter-to usb
I'd try that first.

calbanner

Success at last

Big THANKS to Tony at TLG
Had the solution to my problem and here it is:

To go back to 6.21 - be CAREFUL, any jobs you created or edited in 1.56 will not be read in 6.21

If you still want to go back there should be a program in the software folder or on the 1.5X CD called GSPDOH.EXE (doh as in Homer Simpson)

This program modifies the key to set the software version back to the previous version, in your case 6.21. After doing this the 6.21 software can be loaded with no password.

There should also be a program on the 1.5X CD called cleansys.exe or something like that. Execute this and it will / should clean the system registery of all the Gerber settings. Now attempt to reinstall 1.56.

Still love that basic rock solid program version 6.21 and it runs great on
Windows XP with the Rainbow Sentinal System Driver 5.41.1 (32bit)

smdgrfx

I'm running 2.6 on Vista and it's working pretty good for me. I'm also running 2.5 on Windows XP. Files seem to be opening in both without any problems. One problem I do have is not being able to get the Edge running on the Vista machine. Plotters work fine, but Vista isn't recognizing The Edge as being connected....hmmm...

The newer stuff is definitely better though. More tools...my favorite is probably the dimension tools...