• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't you just find it on the internet?

Mosh

Customer comes in needs FX offroad decals for his truck that he just got painted. He wants them exactly like factory ones, so no one will know the truck was painted. I ask him if he has a picture and a size and he looks at me like I am stupid and says "just pull it off the internet"...ahhh.

He can order them off the internet for $20 so he can't figure why I want $30 to draw them up and print them for him..."they are just stickers"

sometimes I wonder why I even bother coming in....

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
For multiple reasons we often show those types of walk-in customers the door.

1. they typically don't want to pay for the time & effort required to reproduce their particular vehicle model logo; they only want you to beat or match the price coming from the online providers of such stuff. Plain and simple, the job isn't worth it.

2. selling such graphics directly to individuals for their own personal vehicle strolls into some legally dangerous territory. It's not much different than selling vinyl cut outs of the Harley-Davidson logo, Disney characters or any other visual property whose owners are known for suing copyright/trademark violators.

We usually tell them reason #2 as a "our hands are tied" approach rather than just telling them reason #1.

Baz

I never get to do those kind of jobs. I do get asked quite often though. It's just that i ask 65.00$ for art setup and another 50.00$ for 4 sq.ft. minimum of printing. In the end it's better for the customer to just buy them off The Internet.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
One theory I have on why customers think you can just grab it "out of the cloud" and make it with a few button clicks: phony baloney garbage of how computers are portrayed in movies and TV shows.

For instance:Let's Enhance
This is a great video showing a collection of how Hollywood gets it so stupidly wrong just about all the time. I really loved how they included the clip from Enemy of the State, showing government hackers cracking into a retail store's surveillance camera feed and rotating the video in 3D space. I laughed out loud when I saw that in the theater. What utter B.S!

I really would like to give those producers, directors and screen writers such a smack when they insert such cliches into a show. The average person doesn't understand that stuff is wrong, stupid and just plain impossible. I feel sorry for the graphics people who work on those movies and TV shows. They just have to be grumbling to themselves when creating the material for those scenes. An aside: a friend of mine who is a captain in the Oklahoma Highway Patrol laughs at what all the cop shows get wrong in terms of police procedure, like ordering up DNA tests for anything and getting the results pronto.

Another scene I find funny: in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) Scotty sits down in front of a classic Macintosh, rapidly types some gibberish into the keyboard and invents "transparent aluminum." He did this after thinking the mouse was a microphone. Never mind his lack of experience with the Mac OS and an application that could alter molecular chemistry formulas.
:rolleyes:

SignManiac

Not sure why you're bittching Mosh. After all, you are the king of cheap. I'd think for $20.00 bucks you would be all over that. If you can undercut your competition, then surely you can undercut the internet too.

gabagoo

Not sure why you're bittching Mosh. After all, you are the king of cheap. I'd think for $20.00 bucks you would be all over that. If you can undercut your competition, then surely you can undercut the internet too.

not only that, he can afford to run him 2 sets!!!

Alti-Plotter

For multiple reasons we often show those types of walk-in customers the door.

1. they typically don't want to pay for the time & effort required to reproduce their particular vehicle model logo; they only want you to beat or match the price coming from the online providers of such stuff. Plain and simple, the job isn't worth it.

2. selling such graphics directly to individuals for their own personal vehicle strolls into some legally dangerous territory. It's not much different than selling vinyl cut outs of the Harley-Davidson logo, Disney characters or any other visual property whose owners are known for suing copyright/trademark violators.

We usually tell them reason #2 as a "our hands are tied" approach rather than just telling them reason #1.
:goodpost: