• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canva

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've had 3 customers in the last couple weeks come in for logo design. They have a very specific idea. I execute the idea. They respond back with, "I was playing around in Canva and I think I like this better, what do you think?"

Yes - I got deposits and everyone has paid so far.

This is what I'm running into...They send a pic with 17 emails explaining how important it is we use this fire thing. So we do the middle design as a starting point. Then they go on Canva and make the 3rd design and they love what they did better. Are others running into this or is it just me?

1720791731935.png
1720791679631.png
1720791481158.png

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
I've had 3 customers in the last couple weeks come in for logo design. They have a very specific idea. I execute the idea. They respond back with, "I was playing around in Canva and I think I like this better, what do you think?"

This is what I'm running into...They send a pic with 17 emails explaining how important it is we use this fire thing. So we do the middle design as a starting point. Then they go on Canva and make the 3rd design and they love what they did better. Are others running into this or is it just me?

View attachment 172676 View attachment 172675 View attachment 172674
This is why I shy away from logo design.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
It does make it very difficult for us Graphic Designers when we now have to compete with these so called "self taught designers" and cheap competition sites. Logo design is the worst area of it.

JBurton

Signtologist

I feel like the its upside down... also the water terminating in hard points doesn't jive with... water?
What do they do? The last logo looks like they install dialup for broncos fans.
1720797842023.png

gnubler

My answer would be "I think I'm wondering why you hired a professional to do this, and then attempted to do it yourself instead."

Usually I deal with people who have initially played around in Canva, send me their POS logo, and I offer to redesign or recreate it.

gnubler

Going back to my original rant and using the analogy of an auto mechanic...would you give your car to a mechanic for repair, then stop by while he's working on it and think you can do a better job, "Here, let me help you with this..." The answer is no. If you did that you'd probably be looking for another mechanic. People are moronic and rude beyond belief.

Canva is destroying the graphic design industry.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
My question to them is always "how many other companies do you think are using that same exact file from Canva's library?".

Only a designer can create something unique, and distinctive to represent a brand, not an open source clipart library with thousands of wannabe's creating logos every day. I'd bet money that there are hundreds of small companies already using that same symbol, maybe different colors, flipped, scaled a little different, but they're all the same. Can't prevent anyone from using/ stealing your logo either, because it's open source. Same with AI created logos.

One day the lawsuits will start flying over this. I can see it now:
Plantif: They're using my logo
Defendant: No, they're using mine.
Judge: who designed it?
Both: Did it on Canva [or same AI site].
Judge: It's open source, neither of you owns it. Case dismissed, should have paid a designer when you created your business instead of a lawyer now, would have been a lot cheaper...:roflmao:

DL Signs

Never go against the family
99% of the Canva logos I get are either of the same mountains/trees, or excavator/bulldozer. I see them all over on business cards too. :p
Exactly!!!!
And, and when it's localized, if any one of them gets a bad quality reputation, or starts ripping people off, others will suffer too. Same image, must be same company or owners.

dypinc

I could give you a long story but I have already waisted way to much of my time dealing with Canva junk. That might have just sent me a pencil drawing instead of wasting their time in Canva for something they wanted printed which I had to recreate anyway. Already told them about Affinity programs but no they would rather spend $10.00 a month for something that not usable for printing when all three Affinity programs would have cost them less. Are people that frickin lazy or unable to learn anything?

drvinyl

When i first started signwriting they taught me to design things with a mind about how i will create it in the shop, almost all designs made by pro's had no consideration towards this factor, they also don't seem to know what welding is either or understand the scaling/banding issues that adding a gradient creates.

but i don't envy them, logo design sucks, they pass the design around and everyone is a critic who needs to add their 2 cents and all their suggestions are usually stupid anyway.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Canva is being used by a lot more than amateurs. There are quite a few professionals in the marketing and advertising world that use it and claim that it is a huge time saver. As the old adage goes, don't knock it til you try it. You might look back in 10 years and think about how clunky it used to be using ai or corel.
This is true. I like to keep my ear to the ground and I receive job openings through indeed. I'm seeing more and more graphic design positions where knowledge of canva is a plus. I have a few (large) customers who regularly send artwork to produce and it's all nicely layed out well put together and totally produceable. Built in canva.
OTOH... I've also gotten artwork from professional design agencies that not only look awful, but not production ready and have to keep sending it back to them to fix. And they are using Adobe illustrator with an expensive degree in graphic design.
...... It's not the pen, it's the penmanship.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Circling back on this...I have an email this morning stating he's spent all weekend trying to convert it to a vector file LOL

He doesn't like the fonts he used so I need to update them. I may just make a couple changes to simplify it and see what he says...

I think I'm going to stay away from logo design going forward, it's starting to be a waste of time.

WildWestDesigns

...... It's not the pen, it's the penmanship.
Tools are just tools, they are just there to aid in whatever task one has to do.

I always laugh when even in today's time, people say that in order to be a professional one has to have a Mac and/or run Adobe products (I'm not saying anyone in this thread has, although I have seen people over the yrs in here say it(rather they truly believe it or not is something else)). Neither are really true.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

that middle one reminds me of the firefox logo

netsol

Here is ChatGPT's take on it:

For all new projects, we kindly ask that you provide us with your files in PDF format. If you are unable to provide PDF files, a minimum setup fee of $50 will apply. This helps us make sure your project is done correctly and on time. Thank you for understanding and helping us serve you better!

(Might also want to add a note along the lines of: Please don't drop crappy png files in acrobat and call it a PDF....we need VECTOR PDFs. Thank you.)

Tools are just tools, they are just there to aid in whatever task one has to do.

I always laugh when even in today's time, people say that in order to be a professional one has to have a Mac and/or run Adobe products (I'm not saying anyone in this thread has, although I have seen people over the yrs in here say it(rather they truly believe it or not is something else)). Neither are rea

Here is ChatGPT's take on it:

For all new projects, we kindly ask that you provide us with your files in PDF format. If you are unable to provide PDF files, a minimum setup fee of $50 will apply. This helps us make sure your project is done correctly and on time. Thank you for understanding and helping us serve you better!

(Might also want to add a note along the lines of: Please don't drop crappy png files in acrobat and call it a PDF....we need VECTOR PDFs. Thank you.)
you can take any piece of garbage file and convert it to a pdf.
creating a pdf is certainly a GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT process