• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canvas Material Suggestions

unzapped

I have a Mimaki CJV150.

I'm looking to find a good economical canvas media in 54"

I've played with the Roland media and it prints well; but it is very rigid and doesn't stretch very easy.

I really want to be able to do this kind of work. However, I need to tighten up the install process, increase the consistency, and control the cost.

Thanks!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Good economical! That's like a cold hot cup of coffee.

What kind canvas? Canvas can be made from anything, most commonly cotton, linen, polyester, acrylic, and PVC. Hemp is still used in many areas. Often clients will want "canvas" because it does not look like greasy vinyl, and it is used in fine arts painting. Poster shops and fine art print shops use a canvas textured vinyl to simulate the look of fine arts Belgian linen.
For most outdoor applications, cotton and linen will deteriorate quickly (why they used hemp for sails and ropes). Coated cotten is available, but not recommended for outdoor use. A modern standard for outdoor use is woven acrylic (Sunbrella), which requires screen printing or specialty printing methods.
Textured vinyl may be what you are looking for. Or perhaps coated cotton or polyester (commonly used for interior giclee printing).
Use dye-sub inks for printing directly on uncoated fabric. Won't hold up outside, but may be perfect for your needs, and your machine will do it.
All of these media choices give you a range of options. You need to decide which features and benfits are needed for a specific project, then choose your media.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a Mimaki CJV150.

I'm looking to find a good economical canvas media in 54"

I've played with the Roland media and it prints well; but it is very rigid and doesn't stretch very easy.

I really want to be able to do this kind of work. However, I need to tighten up the install process, increase the consistency, and control the cost.

Thanks!

I have a good variety to choose from on Canvas if you are interested.

unzapped

Good economical! That's like a cold hot cup of coffee.

What kind canvas? Canvas can be made from anything, most commonly cotton, linen, polyester, acrylic, and PVC. Hemp is still used in many areas. Often clients will want "canvas" because it does not look like greasy vinyl, and it is used in fine arts painting. Poster shops and fine art print shops use a canvas textured vinyl to simulate the look of fine arts Belgian linen.
For most outdoor applications, cotton and linen will deteriorate quickly (why they used hemp for sails and ropes). Coated cotten is available, but not recommended for outdoor use. A modern standard for outdoor use is woven acrylic (Sunbrella), which requires screen printing or specialty printing methods.
Textured vinyl may be what you are looking for. Or perhaps coated cotton or polyester (commonly used for interior giclee printing).
Use dye-sub inks for printing directly on uncoated fabric. Won't hold up outside, but may be perfect for your needs, and your machine will do it.
All of these media choices give you a range of options. You need to decide which features and benfits are needed for a specific project, then choose your media.

Ok. Thank you! I'm think mostly Giclee stuff. I take some photography and create "wall hanger" art. Like what I have uploaded.

Indoor, easily stretched, good color replication...

Thats what I'm looking for

Attachments

• IMG_20190901_210612.jpg
    IMG_20190901_210612.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 152