Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canvas Material Suggestions

Discussion in 'Materials' started by unzapped, Sep 2, 2019.

1. unzapped

unzapped New Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Alfred Station
    I have a Mimaki CJV150.

I'm looking to find a good economical canvas media in 54"

I've played with the Roland media and it prints well; but it is very rigid and doesn't stretch very easy.

I really want to be able to do this kind of work. However, I need to tighten up the install process, increase the consistency, and control the cost.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    Good economical! That's like a cold hot cup of coffee.

What kind canvas? Canvas can be made from anything, most commonly cotton, linen, polyester, acrylic, and PVC. Hemp is still used in many areas. Often clients will want "canvas" because it does not look like greasy vinyl, and it is used in fine arts painting. Poster shops and fine art print shops use a canvas textured vinyl to simulate the look of fine arts Belgian linen.
    For most outdoor applications, cotton and linen will deteriorate quickly (why they used hemp for sails and ropes). Coated cotten is available, but not recommended for outdoor use. A modern standard for outdoor use is woven acrylic (Sunbrella), which requires screen printing or specialty printing methods.
    Textured vinyl may be what you are looking for. Or perhaps coated cotton or polyester (commonly used for interior giclee printing).
    Use dye-sub inks for printing directly on uncoated fabric. Won't hold up outside, but may be perfect for your needs, and your machine will do it.
    All of these media choices give you a range of options. You need to decide which features and benfits are needed for a specific project, then choose your media.

3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I have a good variety to choose from on Canvas if you are interested.

4. unzapped

unzapped New Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Alfred Station
    Ok. Thank you! I'm think mostly Giclee stuff. I take some photography and create "wall hanger" art. Like what I have uploaded.

Indoor, easily stretched, good color replication...

Thats what I'm looking for

Attached Files:

5. unzapped

unzapped New Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Alfred Station
    Do tell... I'm looking for recommendations. Whatcha got?

6. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Neschen Monet Canvas Better white point then standard cotton blend canvas.

7. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I can send you my canvas swatch book, that's the best way to touch and feel for what you are looking for.