• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

canvas prints scuff easily - help!

kkamauu

We are printing high quality canvas prints using our solvent JV33 Mimaki.

We are using SS21 inks.

The prints look flawless, yet while we stretch them onto bars or even as we are handling them with care we still get scuff marks. We have left them out for a couple days to let them dry but doesn't change.

I was told to liquid laminate them. is that the only way or...

1. try a different type of ink
2. spray (the spray works but very expensive)
other ideas?

thanks,
Kahea

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Do not use frog juice. For anything. Especially anything with solvent inks.

Use Clear Shield. Original formula in either satin or gloss, your choice.

Moreover, when working with the canvas prints always do so on a soft clean surface. I have a couple of old blankets that I spread on the table top and do all of the stretching and any other work on top of the blanket. If you slide a canvas print around on a normal table or a cutting mat I guarantee you that you'll have abrasions.

Think about it, the media is textured and just the high points in that texture rub on flat table surface. Worse with a cutting mat which is slightly abrasive. The actual bearing surface area is minute thus the pressure on these surfaces is more than sufficient to grind off the ink.

Even if you do everything right, if you're doing a gallery wrap you still have to be very careful of the corners and edges. It doesn't take much to scratch the ink off a corner or an edge. I keep a huge array of sharpies just to touch up any minor zits.

MikePro

maybe try using an old pillowcase for handling the media during stretching.?

or maybe even a foam roller and 100% silicone? I've always wanted to try that if I got into canvas printing... could give the finished product a cool, scratch-proof, textured finish.

i print wallpaper murals and i go out of my way to avoid dragging that textured print across my tabletop and even use a wet sponge to moisten the surface before i use my bristle-brush squeegee for application.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Care to share why you say that?

One does not coat solvent based pigments with a solvent based coating. I have a small sheet of eco-solvent printed decals that, for an experiment, I tried coating with frog juice. It took well over a year for the coating to dry.

Use a water based clear coat on solvent prints. And vice versa. Always. Sometimes you can get away with using frog juice but that's all you're doing; getting away with it.

The best, and perhaps only use, I've ever found for frog juice is coating MDF board so that vinyl will stick to it. Even at that, there's far more economical solutions.

DHUGS

One does not coat solvent based pigments with a solvent based coating. I have a small sheet of eco-solvent printed decals that, for an experiment, I tried coating with frog juice. It took well over a year for the coating to dry.

Use a water based clear coat on solvent prints. And vice versa. Always. Sometimes you can get away with using frog juice but that's all you're doing; getting away with it.

The best, and perhaps only use, I've ever found for frog juice is coating MDF board so that vinyl will stick to it. Even at that, there's far more economical solutions.

This does not make sense. Frog Juice works fine with solvent prints. What was your base media? For water based applications use water based Frog Juice.

J

john1

I used Clear Shield Original last year on some 2x8' prints and you want to use water based liquid laminate on solvent inks.

Colin

Sorry to resurrect this 10 year old thread, but it’s right on point. I just printed (EcoSol) a number of large prints on a new (cheaper) brand of canvas than my previous roll, and after coating two of the 36” x 48”prints with ClearChield, I discovered that the drying of the ClearShield caused them to shrink! *Oddly, they only shrank in one direction, not the 54” width of the material – that remained correct, but it shrank in the length (feed) of the roll. Strange.

Anyway, I attempted to stretch one of them onto a wooden stretcher bar, but just couldn’t pull it enough to get the image around the edge, so that print is scrap. I’m now faced with the decision of trying to use the prints already printed, but without any ClearShield, (as I know they will fit on the frames), or reprint everything 1” larger in that one dimension to allow for the shrinkage that will occur using the ClearShield.

Based on your experience, if I place a large, soft blanket down on my work table and attempt to carefully stretch an uncoated canvas print onto the stretcher bar, would I have success with that, or will I still experience tiny bits of ink being rubbed off?

Colin

I wonder if the printer corrects for stretch of a fabric print as it rolls out of the printer, and the cleashield just caused it to snap back to its original dimensions.
No, it doesn't. Like I said, the ClearShield liquid laminate caused the shrinkage as it dried.

Sorry, only thing I know about avoiding scratching prints is they go straight to the laminator.
You can't laminate canvas, which is what I'm speaking about.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Sounds like poor quality canvas. We've been printing and coating canvas since 2008 and have never had this issue. We use Breathing Color amongst other brands. We generally oversize the print by 1/4in, but it always ends up wrapping down the sides anyway,

Colin

^^^ Yes, I'm sure that's the problem, as the previous roll of Neschen Monet canvas never shrank at all.