• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canvas stretching pliers and stapler

AF

Looking for the best canvas stretching pliers and stapler. Also where to purchase.

Thanks.

The pliers seem to be commodity knockoffs available at any art supply store nowadays. For the stapler, Rainco is the industry standard for upholstery for decades. I use stainless steel staples. I plan to invest in a Gallery Stretcher next year to increase production and reduce labor cost. I would look at one of those if you do any respectable volume in canvas.

klingsdesigns

The pliers seem to be commodity knockoffs available at any art supply store nowadays. For the stapler, Rainco is the industry standard for upholstery for decades. I use stainless steel staples. I plan to invest in a Gallery Stretcher next year to increase production and reduce labor cost. I would look at one of those if you do any respectable volume in canvas.

I watched a few videos today on them. Not sure for the ROI right now might hold off on one of them. We are starting to really increase sales on these lately. Usually happens around this time. As of now I have been using an electric stapler which isn't the greatest and been stretching by hand. Killing my thumbs. I will check into that stapler.

PushProductions

We stretch quite a few canvases a week. I purchased three different kinds a stretching tool (pretty much plyers) and never got any good results from using them. Mabye there is a technique to them but i went back to doing it by hand. Just way more control by hand, but it does hurt your hands after a few!

klingsdesigns

We stretch quite a few canvases a week. I purchased three different kinds a stretching tool (pretty much plyers) and never got any good results from using them. Mabye there is a technique to them but i went back to doing it by hand. Just way more control by hand, but it does hurt your hands after a few!

I feel like on the bigger ones that are over 4 ft I need something to get them tighter.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Looking for the best canvas stretching pliers and stapler. Also where to purchase...

Stretching pliers are merely two pieces of metal and a bolt, the best pretty much is functionally equivalent with the worst. Available at any hobby or art supply.

Most any air stapler. A Harbor Freight air stapler, ~$35.00, is as good as any other. Be sure and get a small regulator, ~$5.00, and attach to the stapler's air intake. Then you can turn down the pressure without having to do it at the compressor.

W...I purchased three different kinds a stretching tool (pretty much plyers) and never got any good results from using them. Mabye there is a technique to them but i went back to doing it by hand. Just way more control by hand, but it does hurt your hands after a few!

There is a technique for the pliers. You don't grab the canvas and pull, you use the pliers as a lever and the inside edge of the stretcher bars as a fulcrum. Assuming what you're stretching is face down, you grab the canvas about half way, depending, on the stretcher bar and then rock the pliers forward toward the center of the canvas against the inside edge of the bar. It's easier to do than to explain, sort of like describing how to tie a shoelace.

klingsdesigns

Stretching pliers are merely two pieces of metal and a bolt, the best pretty much is functionally equivalent with the worst. Available at any hobby or art supply.

Most any air stapler. A Harbor Freight air stapler, ~$35.00, is as good as any other. Be sure and get a small regulator, ~$5.00, and attach to the stapler's air intake. Then you can turn down the pressure without having to do it at the compressor.

There is a technique for the pliers. You don't grab the canvas and pull, you use the pliers as a lever and the inside edge of the stretcher bars as a fulcrum. Assuming what you're stretching is face down, you grab the canvas about half way, depending, on the stretcher bar and then rock the pliers forward toward the center of the canvas against the inside edge of the bar. It's easier to do than to explain, sort of like describing how to tie a shoelace.

Thanks i will take a look at the good old harbor freight..

Rocco G

I've never stretched "canvas", but why not a Vicegrip sheet metal tool - model 8-R. We use them to stretch awning fabric, lift plastic sign faces, stretch flex face material, etc. My truck/shop wouldn't be complete without a few pairs of these "duckbills." Harbor Freight sells a version as well (much larger and less than half the price) but I don't think they are worth the metal they are made from.

Plus (and I could be wrong) they are still made in the USA and are less than $20.

klingsdesigns

I've never stretched "canvas", but why not a Vicegrip sheet metal tool - model 8-R. We use them to stretch awning fabric, lift plastic sign faces, stretch flex face material, etc. My truck/shop wouldn't be complete without a few pairs of these "duckbills." Harbor Freight sells a version as well (much larger and less than half the price) but I don't think they are worth the metal they are made from.

Plus (and I could be wrong) they are still made in the USA and are less than $20.

Never even thought of trying one of those. Only thing is you would have to mess with the clamping pressure. I feel like it would be a pain if it clamped everytime.. maybe not .. It might actually help.

THANKS EVERYONE!!

DizzyMarkus

The pair I bought have a little arm type thing on one side-- it goes against the frame to help stretching :0)

Got them at hobby lobby, $14.99

Markus

gabagoo

Don't want to thread hijack here, but can someone tell me what sort of canvas you print on and maybe some pics of the finished work? I have never done one of these, but might be interesting to try.

phototec

Looking for the best canvas stretching pliers and stapler. Also where to purchase.

Thanks.

I have been making Gallery Wraps for 20 years, and the BEST canvas hand stretching tool in the WORLD is the Pit Bull wrap stretcher, it's not cheep but out of all the other pliers made from warping canvas to a frame, it is the best!

Now, you can get by with the cheap pliers from Hobby Lobby for $15, they do have a tap that allows you to pull against the frame, they just don't work as well as the Pit Bull.

[video]http://www.pitbullwrapstretcher.com/instructional-video[/video]

player

Pitbull looks like the thing...

$200 for the single set of pliers though...

For me in Canada that means $232 Canadian, plus about $30 for shipping = $262 + 3% for exchanging the currency fee = $269.86, the add 13% Canadian tax = $304.94

I just bought a gift online from Amazon. It was $89 USD. It will be almost $200 when it get here with the addons.

phototec

Pitbull looks like the thing...

$200 for the single set of pliers though...

For me in Canada that means $232 Canadian, plus about $30 for shipping = $262 + 3% for exchanging the currency fee = $269.86, the add 13% Canadian tax = $304.94

I just bought a gift online from Amazon. It was $89 USD. It will be almost $200 when it get here with the addons.

Hey silly Goose, don't you know there is NOTHING in the WORLD for FREE!

They have to pay for your FREE health care some way.......TAXES......:omg:

player

The exchange rate, the shipping, and the 3% for doing the conversion (Visa, Paypal) are the real deal killers... The 13% HST (govt tax) is bad but the $89 USD item is at $170 before Canadian taxes...